Automatic 02

L8R

Contributor
:
02' Sport 20/Familia
wuts up everyone. alright, i dont know if this belongs in performance or not but here goes hehe.

i have read a lot about how protege 5's hit 120, 130, etc. stock. i assume that they have 5 speed (?)

well i have an automatic 2002 protege 5 (non-tiptronic thing). how fast can you guys go? i was only able to reach 100mph :( and crap... yah i have a CAI, MS exhaust, and yah... waiting for my headers. i know no speed govenor and only drag limited... but how fast have u automatic p5's gone? - chris

tests show drag limited to 118, so that gives you an idea, people going 130 on a huge downhill slope on a stock p5 isnt accurate

Its only drag limited, so you either have to get a good down hill or boost performance enough to get to where you want to be (100+mph) before you get in to traffic. It'll go over 230kmh, I think mph is around 140 or so. The gearing will let you go 230+kmh or 140 mph its a power problem

Last edited:
i've hit about 115 before. it took forever. in arizona, between phoenix and tucson is a very straight stretch. i say it took me almost 3 or 4 miles before i got up to that speed. the rpms were at about 5800, so there's still some juice left, i chickened out though. i dont' think the islands have roads long and straight enough to hit that speed safely.

ive hit 120 on a flat freeway.. but the car felt like it was going to fall apart.. -=( face it autos suck.

i have hit 120+ , with a cai, headers, and exhaust, i could have gone faster, when i first bought the car i went over 110 on the freeway stock

when i had a p5 stock automatic, i hit 115 and s*** a brick because i saw a cop. he obviously saw me but didnt pursue

i portered for Mazda over the summer and took dealer/clients in a 2002 P5 (auto) from Stonemountain to Athens(90 miles) i floored the car for like 4 miles and barely hit over a 100. in my car ive gotten up to about 125 no problem with just an intake, no that does anything.

whao... sounds like good speeds... not saying going that fast is safe or anything. thanks for the feedback guys. the weekend is coming up i guess hehe ;) time to see wuts up. ingrexco, youre one lucky ass guy dude hah - chris

120 once ..although its not always easy to get there...even with my mods i can only get to 118 almost 120 with a straight away. i hate how the auto only has 4 gears cause u top out @ 5,000 in 4th and it just begs for a fifth gear...

had mine up to 110mph awhile back and was coming up to traffic. would have gone a little faster but didn't feel like the car had anything left. took awhile to get to 110

akhilleus said:
no the OD is fourth

After mine is in forth gear when there is no longer a load on the motor it shifts once again. Goes down about 300 RPM's.... So let me know what that is.. TTY

hmm i was on the freeway this weekend. seems i was at 90 ish and my pedal was pushed down about half way... could have pushed it, but a little too much traffic, i dont want to drive that reckless. any such thing as a 5 speed auto? - chris

Back