CEL. got the codes, now what?!?

Let me go check my shop manual, and I'll let you know what it says about fixing those CEL's. I'll get back with you after lunch.

DTC P0117 - Possible Cause
- ECT Sensor malfunction
- Short to ground circuit between ECT sensor termial A and PCM connector terminal 38
- ECT signal and ground circuits are shorted to each other
- PCM malfunction

DTC P0303 - Possible Cause
- Spark plug malfunction
- High tension lead malfunction (plug wire)
- Fuel injector malfunction
- Air suction in intake-air system (between dynamic chamber and cylinder head)
- Inadequate engine compression due to engine internal malfunction
- Related connector or terminal malfunction
- Related wiring harness malfunction

For the first one (P0117), since your radiator was replaced, I would make sure all the connectors are tight for the sensor, and check the ground. (I assume it is grounded through the radiator?)

For the second (P0303), check your plugs, wires, and all associated connectors. Cylinder 3 is the second one in from the drivers side, so it has a plug wire, not one of the ignition modules. I would belive this code would be related to the plug wire.

YMMV, these are only my suggestions. But note, the possible causes are right from the shop manual.

excellent!

I'll get to this on Sunday I suspect..

Tomorrow I have a drivers school to go to :D

(in the other car of course)

With OBDII, I was told that the only way to reset the light is to have it reset by a scan tool. You can try disconnecting the battery, pump the brake pedal a few times, and see what happens. If you had AutoZone pull the codes, they should be able to clear them too. Then if the light comes back, have them pull the codes again to see what is going on. Oh, and I wouldn't wait too long to have the P0303 floating around. You can damage your cat-converters by dumping too much fuel out the exhaust. (I had a GrandAm that would mis-fire something fierce, and caused the cat to plug right up so the car wouldn't even run.)

njaremka said:
With OBDII, I was told that the only way to reset the light is to have it reset by a scan tool. You can try disconnecting the battery, pump the brake pedal a few times, and see what happens. If you had AutoZone pull the codes, they should be able to clear them too. Then if the light comes back, have them pull the codes again to see what is going on. Oh, and I wouldn't wait too long to have the P0303 floating around. You can damage your cat-converters by dumping too much fuel out the exhaust. (I had a GrandAm that would mis-fire something fierce, and caused the cat to plug right up so the car wouldn't even run.)

yeah, I'll get to it Sunday.. the cars just sitting there in the meantime.

but if I fix those couple things and I don't reset it, then how will I know if I fixed 'em? :D

To reset the codes without going to the dealer, disconnect the battery and turn on your headlights. Wait about 15-30 minutes to drain the internal battery and your check engine light should go off. The OBD2 system will normally throw the check engine light when the same problem exists during two drive cycles. Lots of things could set off the cylinder 3 code. If you run high test gasoline, A possible cause could be that. During the colder months I've heard our Service Advisors tell customers to run lower grades of fuel. Normally that was associated with a knock sensor. I don't know the full details, but I hope this helps.
Mike

It has been awhile since anyone has posted in here but I just came across kind of the same scenario.

P0117 - Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Low Input
P??? - Cylinder One Misfire

About a month ago I had the radiator hose from the cap blow. We ended up having to replace the thermostat. I replaced it with a better one ($13 compared to $5) which was like a 180 degree thermostat or something like that. This morning I get into my car and I have the check engine light. Those were the two codes. So.... Anyone have any ideas? I am going to start with the spark plugs and go from there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

did you ever get this fixed? i got the same problem and cant find a answer. just the p0117 code

dinux said:
It has been awhile since anyone has posted in here but I just came across kind of the same scenario.

P0117 - Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Low Input
P??? - Cylinder One Misfire

About a month ago I had the radiator hose from the cap blow. We ended up having to replace the thermostat. I replaced it with a better one ($13 compared to $5) which was like a 180 degree thermostat or something like that. This morning I get into my car and I have the check engine light. Those were the two codes. So.... Anyone have any ideas? I am going to start with the spark plugs and go from there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I just had the same codes today...I replaced the plugs. I disconnected the neg battery terminal and the light went off. I'll see if the CEL comes back on.

Back