My car is making sounds I don't like

popcanblue

:
Mazda P5 2003
Okay...so i've had my car for a week. I was told to break my car in easy...so that things would be able to settle and whatnot. Anyways this morning driving on the highway I was making a lane change and I hit the gas a bit...i was going 110 at the most...and then i made my lane change...halfway through the change...my car starts to drag a bit...which is fine...i can deal with that...however suddenly...I hear this loud CACHUNK!!!! and then boom my picks up.

Is this normal? I'm not sure? It didn't feel normal...did i break my car in too quickly or something? Anyways, I apologize if this post is in the wrong place..i looked through the forums and wasn't sure where it went.

wow.. that doesn't sound normal.. but why in the world were you driving so fast to start with?? what is your plan for the "break in easy" .. doesn't sound like you're breaking the car in easy at all!!

break in easy means under 110 mph. -=( god i hope the p5 isnt getting the dreded clunk -=(

i am one that dont belive in break in periods. (not like redline line it day one) but you dont have to baby it like most think.

in the bike world you are to drive it just like you would normally. but take it to red line a few times. because on a bike you want to know if its goin to go then. if anything it will go then and not when you have broken it in and try to do a wheelie and BAM.

i have done this to everyone of my cars and have lasted a very long time. im on car number 6 and 2 bikes and 3 street rods.

taking your car to 110 is nothing. in fact you should do that on a break in. but why your car made that sound i dont know. did you hit something? do you have an auto, sometimes the auto has prestages of reving, if yo ulet off the gas it drops and then if you gave it more gas it goes up a higher rev stage but stays i same gear that will cause drag and a clunk, but nothing to the level of which you are describing.

hmm. good luck with solving this one

110 KM/hr....we're talking canadian here (~65 mph). :D so, i assume it's an automatic transmission...do you think you heard the sound where the car was shifting gears?

yeah 110 km/h...geez 110 mph...i wouldn't be able to hear my stereo..i'd be flying..

it's automatic...and i think maybe my gears were changing....as for the prestages of reving...didn't know about that...good piece of information to have thanks...

i slowed down the rest of the way to work...maybe on the way home...i'll pick it up a bit and see if it happens again...about the whole breaking in thing...i was told not to go over 120 km/h for about a week...so i've been abiding by that for the most part...

i admit the other day i was tooting around at 130 km/h...

as for the dreaded clunk and hoping that i don't have it...what is the dreaded clunk? is it recurring bad news for the car? i'm so new to this owning a mode of transportation other than a bicycle thing...

grrr.

possibly at 110, you may have run over small to medium deer or other road crossing creature and been unaware of it because of concern with the break-in period, perhaps SLOWING DOWN might allow you to be more alert to your surroundings...(drive)

Kilometres not Miles

elias1974 said:
possibly at 110, you may have run over small to medium deer or other road crossing creature and been unaware of it because of concern with the break-in period, perhaps SLOWING DOWN might allow you to be more alert to your surroundings...(drive)

hahahah...if only that were the truth...i'm driving in southern ontario canada...from steeltown to toronto...no deer in this part of the woods...it's an asphalt jungle out here....

and it's 110 km which translates into 65 mph for you guys...that's not that fast...however point taken with the concern for break-in period....

geez you totally cracked me up.:D

Back