Tranny Fluid Change

MikeyK 5

:
2003 Black Mica Mazdaspeed #34
2 Quick questions.

I'm looking at putting GM Syncromesh into my tranny. First off, in the manual it says capacity is 2.9 quarts, but I've seen posts saying its 3.5 quarts. Any ideas which, if any, is correct. I need to know if I have to buy another quart.

Also, anyone had any problems/remarks with using the GM?

Thanks.

- Mike

3 quarts even should work well. I used Redline and its nice and buttery now :)

go with Redline-but be warned that Redline isn't a real cold weather lover. my buddies 93 Rx-7 has some real issues shifting into 1st gear with that stuff in winter time till the tranny warms up

im using the gm now and its fine , the redline is VERY thick
and that is why it lubes so well and also why its not so great in the winter , ive also read the redline can soak up to 6 horse power because of this . royal purple has one also seemed pretty good also , im sure any will be an improvment over whats in it from factory

gm syncromesh is sweet stuff, expensive but awesome. i use royal purple over redline. all the race drivers i talked to use the royal purple. unless you are making over 500 hp to your tranny its really thick for our trannies.

just my 2 cents. also remember if you are using an auto tranny the converter store lots of fluid so if you want to convert to all synthetic it will take like 4 changes before all the fluid is synthetic.

to much fluid in auto makes it foam, not enough burn it up. autos are a b****.

peace.

ohh s*%$, i was about to ask the same question about how many quarts to use. Is Royal Purple good? What model number do i need for the Automatic Protege 5!?!

royal purple is about 5-6 bucks a quart. you need ATF dex3. you need 4 bottles. but not all the 4th one. many people have had to use diff levels, converters store diff amounts from others. its just a thing you have to check as its idling and heated up. its not a 4 bottles exact type thing.

they also have a radiator additive thats good.

peace- trav

deckedoutmp5 said:
royal purple is about 5-6 bucks a quart. you need ATF dex3. you need 4 bottles. but not all the 4th one. many people have had to use diff levels, converters store diff amounts from others. its just a thing you have to check as its idling and heated up. its not a 4 bottles exact type thing.

they also have a radiator additive thats good.

peace- trav

just so everyone know that he is talking bout the AUTO tranny on other protege's this DOES NOT relate to the msp.

I had to say that because this is in the msp section and someone may not read carefully and decide oh thats what and how much I need but it is not.

jaymode said:
just so everyone know that he is talking bout the AUTO tranny on other protege's this DOES NOT relate to the msp.

I had to say that because this is in the msp section and someone may not read carefully and decide oh thats what and how much I need but it is not.

sorry :(

not to jack thread but in my manual it says that the auto protege 5 requires 7 quarts of ATF Dexron III! Is this true, whereas, the manual only needs 3? I'm thinking putting in Royal Purple ATF and Mobile 1 full syn. for my next oil change. I can't seem to find where to fill and drain the tranny fluid!! Can someone help me please?!!?? Thanks

tranny fluid on auto is less to fill after its been filled because the converter holds alot...

the dip stick in between your battery and intake. the drain is on the driver side, just like the oil pan but on other side. autos use more fluid, thats how they shift.

deckedoutmp5 said:
tranny fluid on auto is less to fill after its been filled because the converter holds alot...

the dip stick in between your battery and intake. the drain is on the driver side, just like the oil pan but on other side. autos use more fluid, thats how they shift.

yeah... i switched mine out for Mobil1 Synthetic ATF and all I got exactly 4 Litres out. In the manual, it says that it can hold 7.x Litres. so there's 3.x litres left in there.

Back