Help my friend pick a sub

JAC

:
Allegro Hatchback
Help my friend pick a sub

My friend is about to get a sub, his choices are:
- This thing PPI PRO-10

-And this sub Alpine SWR-1021D

He will be using this amp's (Alpine MRV-F450) mono chanel to power it.

I don't know much if anything about the PPI sub/brand, but I don't reccall hearing anything good about it... I told him that he should go with the Alpine IMO but that I would check with you guys first to see what more educated car audio people had to say about it.

Price is not an issue btw, he can get either one for 180$ US.

Last edited:
Rider...you read my mind. Mine is getting mounted thursday night, once the box drys and seals and is carpeted. (shiver) I can't wait!

That would be nice but sadly it has to be one of those two, please coment on those alone, thanks.

Wish I could comment on the PPi...looks very nice. I'm not sure why it *has* to be one of those two, but so be it.

If was gonna pick one I'd pick the PPi just to experiment and be different. Only problem is that it's 8ohm...which bites. If it were a 4ohm...then I'd definitely choose it...but with that high a resistance, with that amp, he's just wasting available power. He should just go with the Alpine if it has to be one of those two. :D

Sorry for the previous side notes; it's just hard to recommend either of those two when you know what else is out there for the money. Many apologies...

No problem dude, thanks for your input. I'd sugest getting the Ed sub but it's not available here, and it HAS to be one of those because he already paid for the Alpine but it's backordered so the guy offered him the PPI if he doesn't want to wait.

THats easy, the alpine, the PPI won't work its a 8 ohm sub.
Although both will be under powered. the alopine amp only has 200 watts at best to give. I would use a Type S alpine sub and save some money.

According to the birthsheet the mono chanel puts out 235w rms, I told him it was too much sub for that amp but he wouldn't listen, at first he wanted to get a JL w3v2, I sugested that he shoulg get a 10"w3 wich IMO would be perfect for that amp but again, he's a very stubborn guy, so he went from that to the alpine.

Regardless of him paying for something that he doesn't need, it should sound good right?

Good in a relative sense. The SQ will be nice enough, but he's not gonna push that sub to full extension with 200W (which is what it's rated at 4ohms at crutchfield).

Let's put it this way...he has enough power to move the motor pretty well and it'll probably sound good in car, but he won't be waking up people more than 25 meters away from him at night.

As for eD not being available there, they're an online company, so I would think they could ship it to you. I didn't find anything on their site that would suggest otherwise...Even if it did, the guys are always available through emai, so things could be worked out. Anywho...seems like he's locked into the Alpine, but it should be ok.

His main goal is SQ, just like me, we don't really care about how far our car will be heard from as long as it has good SQ.

About the Ed, it's more complicated than that, first shipping would be expensive and trust me, you don't want to have anything shipped to you by mail in my country. And second, the goverment applied something called "control de cambio" (i don't know what the proper term is in english) anyways, it means that we can't buy US $, they only sell a certain amount to people going on business trips, students and big companies.

Ugh! That sucks man. I hope things start going better over there. There's so much other world news that I haven't heard much about everything goin on in South America, but it seems like there are a couple countries in turmoil down there. Good luck, man! Hope the sub works well for your buddy...it should be just fine!

Thanks man, yeah, I think it should sound pretty good. Since we're already discusing his sytem, what do you guys think about Focal's polykevlar speakers? he's getting a 6.5 component set as well.

I believe Natey has them. PM him and see what he thinks...I haven't heard them so I can't really say. They seem to be very high quality, though.

Back