running wires in a p5 (quick question)

k2kyo

Ok, after exhausting the search button, I just couldn't find these answers.

I was trying to figure the best way to run power cable/rca's/speaker wire from front to back of the car.. my question is where can I hide it? I know it can go under the carpet.. but can I run it inside that plastic molding on the bottom of the door opening? Will it all fit? is there any extra room at all even? If so, how do I remove it?

Ok, so that was a lot of quick questions.. thanks guys :)

Kyle

pull everything out and run it under.. it will last longer and look better. -=) plus it gives u an excuse to dynamatt. -=)

I ran power wires down the driver's side and RCAs on the passenger side. There is a rubber gromet that you can poke a hole through to run power wires to the battery above the clutch (that general area). Stick a screw driver through it and you'll see it come out from the engine bay (if you are wondering where to run power wire to battery also). The remote wire, I ran down the middle of the car, by you can do it on the same side as the power wire. I popped the door sills off (they just pry right off) and 4 gauge fits under here nicely and used some wire ties to keep it from falling out from under the sills and carpet just tucks away under the sills. The same goes with the other side, using wire ties for the RCA wires. You don't necessarily have to run remote wires down the middle like I did, as you can route them along side the power wires.

BTW, speaker wire on each side can be run with RCAs and power wires without noise coming in to the system. Also, try to keep your ground wires away from the RCAs as best as possible.

Ok so the door sills just pry up? don't wanna break anything heh.

Since I'm tapping into the factory speaker wires behind the HU, I'll just run the speaker wire with the RCA's if it'll fit (that's a lotta wires in one side)

When you say remote wire, I assume you meam remote turn on wire? Mine came inside the RCA's.

Just outta curiosity..how the hell would you run wire down the center? wouldn't you have to take out the console?

Thanks,
Kyle

i ran 4ga down the drivers side
3 rca's and 2 symbilink (balanced audio) and speedwire (4pr spkr wire and remote turn on all in a single cable) .....all down the passenger side, no problems
door sills pop up, kick panels have a tab in the back that you'll pull first, then they pop off....pull the glove box out (really really easy) to run the wires up behind the radio. simple stuff

Taking out the center console is extremely easy. 6 screws altogether I think (then 4 to release shifter on a man.) You then get to reach up all the way top the radio then as well. (Where the pocket used to be, don't have to pull glovebox then) On my PR5, I ran 4 ga power thru grommet on pass side, thru center console, then to amp under driver's seat (short stint under carpet to look clean.) Mounted the ground up there as well. Rca's and speak wire went along driver's side of the cent console under the carpet, well away from power/ gnd wires, and up dash to HU/ harness. This way you only need 6' RCA's (save some cash!)

Also, if you do a multi amp install, this would be a great way to go. Plenty of room to put in disty/fuse blocks, then other amp under pass side seat. In the '02+'s, there is a little panel in back of console you could easy get to fuse block when needed, but have it hidden otherwise. Use fish tape to route wires under the carpet.

Door sills easy come off, just pull hard (a liitle scary 1st time.) This route just seemed more troublesome IMO (still alot of routing under carpet & seats if under seat install) Don't need to do this if you go thru the console (gee which way do I favor?)

For pics check the how-to section. It's the very first how to and I believe it was done by derrick, on installing an amp wiring kit!

part of running all my wires to the rear is the painted fiberglass project i start on once i finish the ****** WRX i'm working on now. plus i installed the alarm brain under the drivers seat, no one would think to look there....well, execpt you fuckers now.....but workin in a custom shop has it's advantages, like i dont pay s*** for wires, rca's, etc. plus the store manager is in debt to me for all the work i'm doing on his car. tomorrow it's time to put the header on the wrx, oh joy.....should be much easier than the frickin up-pipe though

Back