I rode in the Mazda3 today

wongpres

:
Ti. Grey Mazda3 GT GFX
Ok, I went to an appropriate place in Toronto today and sure enough, I found one Mazda3 (red sedan, same one as from the Vancouver port pics).

So I took out my camera and in less than a minute of taking pics ... I got caught. A guy was coming towards me and used the keyless to unlock the car. I politely asked if my picture taking was ok and he said sure.

He did even more than that, he opened the car up, showed it off for me and even let me start it up, all while I was taking pictures. We chatted for about 15min, and then he had to go. But since we were in a non-public underground, I asked if he could drive me back up to where I parked my car. So, I got into the passenger seat and got a 2min ride in the Mazda3. It was manual, or else I would have asked if I could drive it myself.

This is the first time I've seen this vehicle in real life (and obviously the first time I rode in one), so here's my impressions:

Looks:
- looks great in person (better than the pics). It looks compact and very coupe-like on the outside, but there's TONS of room inside (including the back) and in the trunk. It also clearly has that 'athletic tension' that all new-gen Mazda's have.
- seats felt amazing, very supportive yet very soft and comfortable (I have an internal Mazda graph that compares the Mazda3 seats to the Golf and BMW 3-series in terms of 'support', 'ride', 'holding' and 'softness feel'. Being a Mazda graph, of course the Mazda3 seats beats them both, but now that I've sat in it I can confirm that they're very nice). But I have to say this caveat, I'm a small & thin person, and I could see the seats maybe being too small for very large folks.
- the steering-wheel feels awesome, not a surprise given that it's taken directly from the RX-8
- seating position is high (so great view of the road), but there's still good headroom and I was very impressed with the amount of room in the backseat
- like the other new-gen Mazdas, the center display says 'Hello' when you start up the car
- the radio is very, very cool. When you turn the volume up or down, the horizontal led-like lights around the buttons light-up in the direction you turn the volume knob. The documentation I have says that Mazda did this so it seems like the car interacts with you. Also, even though we were in an underground, the radio reception was perfect, and it sounded pretty good too (it sounded as good as the standard radio in the RSX I was in today, but I'm not an audiophile).
- the glove compartment is HUGE. Plus, it's dampered, very upscale.

Ride:
- the vehicle had the 16-inch alloys, and as we rode up from the underground, it was very smooth. He also took some corners somewhat fast and there is like NO body-roll. Overall, the ride is very, very refined, very smooth but this car can clearly perform as well
- the 2.0l engine started up very smooth and is very quiet. At idle, the 2.0l had less vibration than the RSX I was in today

The guy confirmed that the vehicle (and I'm pretty sure all the vehicles from those Vancouver pics), was euro-spec. They are using them as test mules (e.g. checking out the specs, testing it on our roads, squeak & rattle testing, etc...). The red sedan I was in was the only one on site - he wouldn't tell me where the others were.

The guy said that the Mazda3 would reach Canada around mid-November, which further confirms my info.

And of course you want pics right? Well I took a good amount of them (though I wish I had more time before the guy came), and I'm getting someone to host them. Once they're up, I'll put up the link.

cool. i hope the suspension doesnt get detuned for north american spec cars.

yea where are all the damn pics you were taking? i think it looks ugly, but maybe seeing it in person ill like it better

Ok, at this minute, the pics aren't up yet, but will be within a few of hours. I'd wait until they're up before I post the URL but my office has banned this site for some reason, and I know you all don't want to wait until I get home from work.

Don't expect nice profile shots of the car, Mazda's professionally-done official shots are much better than anything I could do (plus I was in an underground parking). So instead, you'll see that all my pics focus on something (details of some sort), and if he puts up my commentary, then it'll explain the pics for you.

My pictures will be found in the pictures section of this website (it'll be pretty obvious which pics are mine - my name is Preston):

http://groups.msn.com/BrunoLuong/

But I helped the guy with the content on this site and it's by far the best Mazda3 reference site at the moment, so check out the entire site.

dugrant153 said:
And PRICES!!!

Dang, wongpres. You're getting me all super excited about getting this as my first car!!

Please put your location in your profile, it really helps with everyone when giving/getting local information.

Exact packaging & pricing for euro-spec hatch is already out (obviously different for each country so I'm not going to show it all).

Exact packaging & pricing for Canada will be out in late-October.

I don't know when packaging & pricing for US comes out, but it can range anywhere from today to late-October/early-November.

That is my major concern with this car. I hope Mazda doesn't go the same route as MINI di with the Cooper and the S. After a few pansy customer complained about suspensdion stiffness MINI softened the ride. I have ridden in the newly suspended 04 MINi and it is like Jello. God Mazda please don't do that with the 3.

uclap5 said:
cool. i hope the suspension doesnt get detuned for north american spec cars.

Did you take any of the whole car. I would love to see them if you did. Either way these pictures look great.

3forme said:
Did you take any of the whole car. I would love to see them if you did. Either way these pictures look great.

I only took 2 profile shots - one of them I can't show (because it was outdoor and gives away the location), and the other one was too dark (still in the underground).

I'm going to contact the guy who hosted my pics to see how much more room he has. I may add a couple more pics.

wongpres said:
Please put your location in your profile, it really helps with everyone when giving/getting local information.

Exact packaging & pricing for euro-spec hatch is already out (obviously different for each country so I'm not going to show it all).

Exact packaging & pricing for Canada will be out in late-October.

I don't know when packaging & pricing for US comes out, but it can range anywhere from today to late-October/early-November.

Sorry. Haven't been on the board too long.

I guess I'm just wondering whether pricing will be similar to the current Proteges, or whether it'll be 20k and up? I'm in Canada, and I'm hoping the base model would start around 17k CDN, with the minimum being 4-wheel disks and the 2.0L engine

Whoa, cool! (thumb) Looks like the 3 has incorperated the trunk opening machanism of the Ford Focus. That's one of the features I liked about the Focus sedan(my last car) was that when you closed the trunk, you didn't have to worry about the stuff in the trunk being crushed or mared by some metal bar.

LinuxRacr said:
Whoa, cool! (thumb) Looks like the 3 has incorperated the trunk opening machanism of the Ford Focus. That's one of the features I liked about the Focus sedan(my last car) was that when you closed the trunk, you didn't have to worry about the stuff in the trunk being crushed or mared by some metal bar.

The 6 is like that too. I don't usually have a lot of stuff in my trunk, but when I do, it's nice to be able to load it without it being crushed.

wongpres said:

like the other new-gen Mazdas, the center display says 'Hello' when you start up the car

Does the RX8 show "Hello" also? The few I've driven all flashed "Mazda Rx8" at start up.

Honestly I wish my 6 showed the hello message instead of BOSE. I guess the labels on the speakers and amp weren't enough.

Re: Re: I rode in the Mazda3 today

scorp76 said:
Does the RX8 show "Hello" also? The few I've driven all flashed "Mazda Rx8" at start up.

Honestly I wish my 6 showed the hello message instead of BOSE. I guess the labels on the speakers and amp weren't enough.

Yeah, you're right, the Mazda6 Bose shows bose sound or somethinglike that and the RX-8 display's something like mazda rx-8.

But the Hello on the Mazda3 is cool anyways.

dugrant153 said:
Sorry. Haven't been on the board too long.

I guess I'm just wondering whether pricing will be similar to the current Proteges, or whether it'll be 20k and up? I'm in Canada, and I'm hoping the base model would start around 17k CDN, with the minimum being 4-wheel disks and the 2.0L engine

The lowest sedan trim (GX) will definitely be under $17k cdn. And yes, the GX will have the 2.0l and 4-wheel discs.

wongpres said:

- seating position is high (so great view of the road), but there's still good headroom and I was very impressed with the amount of room in the backseat.
Does the seat position feel too high like riding in a Ford Focus?

Re: Re: I rode in the Mazda3 today

quiksilver said:
Does the seat position feel too high like riding in a Ford Focus?

Never been in a Ford Focus so can't say. The seating position is higher than any sedan/coupe I've ever been in though. But there's a height adjuster to lower it if you want.

Back