aluminized steel vs. stainless steel?

Striker187

:
2008 MS3 GT
so what's the real difference other than ss will be good for life? about how long should aluminized steel piping last for? i've heard about 7 years..true? reason i'm asking is cause ss is sooo expensive!!

7 years sounds about right. It's not so much the Aluminum as is the psuedo-bond between two dissimilar metals (which is next to impossible to weld or otherwise bond).

I suggest you donate a kidney for the SST, esp. if you imagine you'll keep it for a while. You might also weigh the option of having aluminized metal piping bent and then sent out to someplace like Jet-Hot for ceramic coating. It might be cheaper than SST but last nearly as long....worth a shot...

if it's gonna last for about 7 years, i'll be fine with that. i certainly hope i don't have to drive this car for longer than that!! i'd like to upgrade at some point :D

if you do weld on Galvanized metal, make sure you use a mask, or a reperator, the fumes are very toxic..... I got pneumonia from breathing it.

Yeah, galvanized is a b****...that zinc will do you.

See if you can get a "cheaper" stainless alloy (not sure if this is possible). Get like 306 SST instead of whatever grade they are using (probably 309 or something).

well, i won't be welding the stuff so that's good. but i think imma go with aluminized steel. seems like a practical choice for me. thanks everyone (thumb)

Back