reverse?

rsj

hey i have a question when i reverse you know that sounds...hmm how can you explain it maybe a low low low low low humm well its been sounding weird when i put it into reverse and im on flat ground like it goes in and out

straight gears make that whirring sound in reverse.

its natural and one of the very noticable things about manual cars in reverse.

while were on this topic, does anyone else have a hard time getting their car into reverse to the point where you have to put in into 4th or 3rd then put it into reverse but it just wont go in?

sometimes i can't get it into reverse and i've got to let the car drift forward or backwards a slight bit then it'll slip right into gear..

oh thanks traitor, guess we posted back to back, i didn't see your reply first.. but that also clears up my situation. i was told by others it's normal on some manuals, but didn't know exactly why until you explained it.

RazorP5 said:
while were on this topic, does anyone else have a hard time getting their car into reverse to the point where you have to put in into 4th or 3rd then put it into reverse but it just wont go in?

through the car into first then into reverse first resyncs.

yeah it makes that noise but latly its been going in and out when ever i put the clutch in.

RazorP5 said:

yep sometimes. I either roll a lil or i just go forward a tad then throw it in reverse.

rsj said:
yeah it makes that noise but latly its been going in and out when ever i put the clutch in.

when you clutch in the tranny stops working (well, not really, but just think of it that way) so you dont hear the noise, when you let the clutch out you are sending power through the tranny and the gears will whine again.

again, normal.

yea...ALL MAZDAS have that problem..all of them.its a pain in the ass..the trick to mazdas is to shift 1 - 2 - reverse..it works everytime

RazorP5 said:

I have the same problem..Sometime Reverse doesn't want to engage(sp)...so what i do..Is just put it in..than take it out..than put it back in while giving it some gas..than it usually just goes in..

I plan on getting some redline mt-90 see how it will help!!

Chas

mine is a hassle sometimes putting it into reverse...whut i do is let up off the clutch a little and let it roll maybe an inch and it goes in just fine

rsj, the sound you are hearing is normal...as stated before. its the way the gears are made..

Razor, the NOT GOING INTO REVERSE thing is normal too....so much to the point that there is a passage in the owners manual that talks about it and tells you that you MAY have to either shift into neutral or into another gear then try reverse again.

(stash)

RazorP5 said:

Yup..it seems a lot of manual tranny cars have this problem. I usually have to let out the clutch and push it back in then go into reverse or I switch to a diff gear then back into reverse.

I yell nasty things at mine and threaten her with trading her in for a Honda, then she will go in reverse for a couple of weeks before she tries and sneak it in again.

cpcP5 said:
Yup..it seems a lot of manual tranny cars have this problem. I usually have to let out the clutch and push it back in then go into reverse or I switch to a diff gear then back into reverse.

i do the same, press the clutch again and it goes in smoothly

hey so, just to bring this back up...that whirring sound you hear when you're in reverse - is it ok if you hear this in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear occasionally?

Back