Mazda6 vs Camry

fkmp5

Contributor
:
05 TSX // 07 Civic // 03.5 P5 (16.08 @85.29)
A coworker of mine (who currently drives an early 90s Firebird V8) is ready for a new car. He has narrowed the search down to the Mazda6S and the Toyota Camry (automatics). He test drove both over the weekend and compared the two. He complained the Mazda6S was more sluggish than the 4 cylinder Camry he drove. He also complained the 6S shifted odd by saying when he floored it, it would take a second to downshift and just didn't feel stable. He asked the dealer if they all reacted that way and the dealer (who was along for the test drive) found it to be normal. Next he will test drive a 6 cylinder Camry.

Can anyone talk to me about the 6S? Is it sluggish/slow? How does it shift? I'm trying to save him from the Toyota Camry (aCk!)

I drove the 6S at the Rev it up. It didn't feel like a powerhouse, even when floored, but it was all right-that was with a Borla exhaust too. I don't think the shifting was weird or anything.

I haven't driven the manual

thanks for the opinion.. I guess I should get out and test drive one!!

t3ase said:
One word: Sluggish.

Is it really? s***, the S looks real good though.

I want Lincoln to make small v8 car. mmmm Please Ford!

LINCOLN IS 300...yes this is very off topic

When it is new, the 6s automatic does feel sluggish. After a few thousand miles, the engine and the transmission seem to break in and work better. It will never be great in a straight line, but it is much better than a Camry if you enjoy driving through the twisty bits. Mazda also built in an artifical delay on the downshift from second to first gear whether you use the manual selection or the kick down. This was to increase transmission life and to keep the gear change from upsetting the car in mid-turn. This actually makes the car feel more sluggish than it actually is. I have run mine on an autocross course and even with the stock Michelin All weather tires it was not far off my MP3.

Yeah I drove that for a week when my Dad and I rented it. AHh man. I took that thing fast down the roads. I just want something a little lighter than that. Actually the lighter the better.

The new Solara is reallll nice! A big improvement over the previous version, which was a nice alternative to the Camry. Has that been considered?

You can't get a better value for your money that Camry...

...for $21.5K you can get a top of the line Camry XLE 4-cyl automatic... which is less than Accord EX 4-cyl automatic

...and if you want a real bargain, than how about Camry SE 4-cyl with auto, leather, abs, sunroof and alloy wheels for $20K.

P.S. Another thing to consider is the resale value, in 5 or 7 years it would be much better on a Camry.

Got the 6S 5-spd and let me just say that i love it, and it perform's as well as my friend's GTP with Pulley's and twin exhaust.;)

If you are used to other cars, and most of us are/were, the 6 may SEEM sluggish until you get to know it and how it likes to be driven. I have the 6s w/the ATX and I would hardly call it "sluggish". First of all, don't floor it from a dead stop. Instead, step down firmly but steadily,and then floor it after it's rolling. Secondly, try driving the auto like a stick: rev to desired shift point, shift the lever, ease the throttle, and then step on it again. When done right, it sounds and feels like a stick and is quite entertaining. Thirdly, the V6 likes the revs. It's quite peaky and doesn't even come alive until after 4000 rpm. Hard on the gas, shift it around, say, 6200 rpm or so. If you let off between the gears, wind it right up to 6500-7000. It's not a dragster, and never claimed to be, but it does go respectably when driven properly. As far as the handling goes, I'm very impressed with it considering that it's a quasi-luxury 4dr sedan. It handles aggressive lane changes at over 100 mph very well. Even in a tight off-ramp with all 4 tires screaming and the rear end hanging out a bit, it's still very composed and confidence inspiring. You couldn't pay me enough to trade for a Camry... lol, yeah right!

There are plenty of threads about the 6s auto being sluggish. There is terrible throttle lag that mazda has marketed as a "feature" for smoother shifting. The 6 is fast, just not quick off the line with auto.

I drove alot of vehicles in this class, and I can say IMO that the 6s is the best value in it. I have never noticed my 6s being sluggish either. I have also never experienced "terrible throttle lag". It can be a little slow, but nothing that pisses me off (like the damn brake dust (protest)). I did drive the Camry, and can say it is nowhere near: as powerful, not as many features, not a very friendly interior layout, it's handling is not even the same league, and I think it looks like a Super-Sized Corolla. :)

Edison_Chen said:
how's the resale value on these mazda 6's?

I don't know, and truthfully, I don't give a rat's ass. I bought the car to drive, not to sell. Mazda's have never had the resale of Toyota's and Honda's, probably never will. But they have always been driver oriented and reliable, at least the two that I owned before this one were. The car's a complete blast to drive. I can't imagine what an RX-8 is like. Guess I'll hafta go test one out!(burnout)

I have a Black 6s and I love it, Corners like a dream it, I have not had sluggish problems either. I am happy with the purchase.

Back