replacing quarter panel glass....

Dexter

Banned
Contributor
can i do it myself, or do you need special adhesives and s***. im on a roll after doing my dash ...so.... :p

i think you need to put in new adhesive crap. i seem to remember somehwere about removing glass you have to cut through the s*** with a wire, get it all off and put on new adhesive.

at least, that is for a windshield, i dont know if the rear quarterpanel is different.

well there isnt any glass in there at all (i cleaned it all out) and there doesnt appear to be any residue from OLD adhesive. but in the 2002 service manual it mentions using adhesive :confused:

i think the adhesive is a caulk type substance? i dunno. ;) im just pulling this out of nowhere.

where are the window experts? ;)

Dexter, you shouldn't need any special adhesives for the rear quarter windows on the sedans. The P5's require it though. All you need to do is remove the door panel from the door. Carefully peel back the vapor barrier. Roll the main window down enough to access the screws holding it to the window regulator. Remove the screws and carefully lift out the glass. Then, unbolt the glass guide. There is a bolt on the top of the door frame and a bolt on the sheet metal portion of the door shell.

Next work the glass guide out of the window frame. Pull out the weatherstripping for the quarter window. It should just pop out. If the stipping is damaged, you should replace it so it won't leak. Install the weatherstripping around the new quarter window glass and reinstall everything.

Good Luck! It's really not too bad...I've replaced a few myself, and one was in a buddy's LX.

cool i figured it out!!

fixed before i seen that mazdadan, but i didnt even need to remove the main window. i just unscrewed the glass guide at the top of the door, and i could bent it enough out of the way. i removed the front "trim" that just snaps up and is held in by one screw near the inside of the door. then i pre installed the glass into the weatherstripping and slid it from the front of the door into the area. everything sealed up nicely (thumb)

im really happy just over stupid glass .... no more towels hanging in my window :)

Back