My new turbo from Modern Performance!

Bigg Tim

:
MazdaSpeed 6
Well I finally got around to posting a thread about my turbo from Modern Performance. First off, I am not finished tuning it, but I did have a chance to feal the power at 8PSI and all I can say is DAMN! I didn't think it would be that awesome. Right now I have it rich until I get the hang of how to tune it right. Here is a list of what I have:

Garret T3/T4 turbo (.43 a/r, I think, and super 57 Compressor)
FM manifold
Big FMIC
Two 42lb injectors before the TB
A Spal slim line high flow fan
Modern Performance's piggyback unit
Big ass 80mm mas air meter
Bosch recirculating by-pass valve
2.5"downpipe into a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust
High flow cat and a Bullet muffler

I believe this is all I have. I have some preliminary pictures up here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289551435 I made a turbo heat shield that I have not yet posted with the pics and am planing on having the piping powder coated an anodized looking yellow or red, haven't decided yet. I painted the pipes yellow because I had a can in the garage that wasn't being used and just wanted to put something on them so they don't rust, so excuse the pipes.

The tuning is kinda slow, but fun. I want to get the drivabilty down before I worry about the boost, so I can't really say much about that yet, but I will in a few weeks or so. With the bigger meter, I have more work to do than if I would of just left the stock meter on, but I have more potential for power with it. I plan on going forged maybe next year, so I went with the stage 2. Nick will be having a dyno day in a few weeks so when that happens I will have the dyno numbers at 10 or more PSI for you all to see so there will be no more questions about his unit.

I would like to say that he is extremely easy to work with and definately nows his stuff. If I lived up there, I would of been done sooner, but I don't have that luxury like Micah. I will try to keep checking the post as much as I can, but I will be tuning, so I apologize for any delays. Sorry if I'm not too detailed on the power, but like I said, I haven't boosted very much. I did however run a 1/4 mile test with a G-timer and ran a 14.9 with only shifting at about 5500 (very smoothly) and letting off before the test ended. Now the G-timer is pretty accurate, I checked and it is accurate to the tenths, not any higher. When I ran the 1/4 mile at the track, it was like a 16.68 something and the G-timer said 16.69 something so it's pretty close. Once again, I let off before the test stopped so I coasted to the end and I did not shift very fast, was trying to take it easy. I think I will definatly be in the mid to low 13's when tuned properly and at about 10PSI.

8psi? *runs for the bomb shelter to avoid falling pistons*

No that was ****** up! Seriously, be careful, and happy racing :)

Bigg....congrats on the new toys.
just take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions....

warning...you may get heat because its new... that sorta thing seems to happen to often...plus and I believe you are the first to use this kit....but it looks "sound".

keep us posted...and more pics...and when you et a chance....dynos

I have a friend that is interested in a similar kit. If you don't mind could you give a guess at the price? Thanks

Congrats on the Boost!!!!!!!:D

RazorP5---I know others have had problems at 8PSI, but they didn't have fuel AND timing control like the piggyback offers. I plan on 10PSI daily and 12 at the track, but that will take maybe a month or 2.

YP5 Toronto---Thanks for the encouraging words. Micah was the first, other than perfworks but he designed it with Nick from Modern Performance.

BlueMP5Dave---I paid $4800 plus the exhaust, but mine is a little different than the new setups. I think they start at $3700 or so but don't quote me. There may be a little wait, he is trying to make it perfect so that takes time. I paid more because I plan on going all out later.

Good stuff, man! I can't wait until I can afford engine management so i can crank up the boost!

Me too, me too. . .
Wonder how high I can go with my J&S installed. . .wait a minute, I have to install it yet. . .damn spur of the moment business trips.

But, but, this one goes to eleven!

Don't take it to eleven. I would do 8-9 PSI at the most. Remember, you still have a FMU controlling your fuel. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, get one immediately!! Ease into boost, and watch your fuel pressure change, and the knock monitor. If you spool too quickly to full boost, and your fuel pressure isn't up to match it yet, you will see little red led's flashing on the J&S. I drive by easing into boost, and making sure the fuel pressure is where it should be for the amount of boost I am running. You do have different programing than I do too though...

Edit: Only take it to 11 PSI after you get a piggy back or standalone.

Last edited:
RazorP5 said:
8psi? *runs for the bomb shelter to avoid falling pistons*

No that was ****** up! Seriously, be careful, and happy racing :)

yeah i dont know how much boost this kit can safely dish out, but 8 is nothing really, you can hit 13 lbs tuned right on hiboost stuff with no worries or problems. good luck! keep us posted and i love pics!

Yeah, I can't wait to go to 12 PSI. I do think that with the piggyback, 12 PSI is do-able. I think 14 is a bit too high for me without having a bullet proof bottom end. I need to get a wide band so I can get the piggyback setup perfectly, so that if I go to 12, then there would be no issues, since the A/F ratio will be dead on and the timing will be retarded more for that level. I am very interested in seeing how the J&S goes. I know there were other posts about it, but I read them so long ago that I forgot how well it worked.

email john at j&s he will answer all your ?'s and they are awesome and nice. and talk to patrick (linux) hes awesome at it too and cool guy.

tim u know the honda will take u and if my msp would stop stalling i would run ya lol i think my honda might beat the msp will have to use the g thingey and try it on both the h and msp

You better get a butt load of friends to help you push that damn honda if you want to keep up with me!:D

Back