Oil + Filter change

cesar350

Right now I am pondering how to go about changing both. I've never done an oil change before, but I do want to do it myself.

Do I drain the oil, change the filter, then put the new oil in? Or can I drain and add new oil (since that seems to be easier), then change the filter later with oil inside still?

The manual is no help since for the oil filter its only suggestion is to take it to a dealer.

I guess my questions is this: Can I change the oil filter with oil still inside?

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this whole operation.

Thanks in advance

drain the old oil. put plug back in

take off old filter

Put on new filter

Put new oil in

If you take off the old filter then put oil in without a filter i believe oil will come out where the filter used to be.

I know I can do an oil change without a filter change. But later on can I do a filter change without an oil change? What you said about the oil coming out of the filter's spot is what makes me doubt I can.

you can if you are really quick and do it before all the oil comes out. ;) Actually all of the oil will not come out but alot will, so you can not just change the filter.

You should change both oil and filter at the same time. It may be possible to do one then the other later, but why?

get ready to handle 'the beast". ;)

first oil filter change is a bastard. good luck, i hope you find a really good filter wrench, or else you will have fun with a screwdriver and a hammer. ;)

If you don't change the filter at the same time as the oil, then you leave a good bit of the old oil and muck in the system, since the filter actually holds in a good amount of oil.

nope, but i can give you tips on how to smash a screwdriver through ;)

just remember, hand tighten the next filter!

uclap5 said:
nope, but i can give you tips on how to smash a screwdriver through ;)

just remember, hand tighten the next filter!

Be very carefull when you do this. If you damage the screw on spout(or what-ever-the-hell the thing is called) then you have a major problem on your hands. Go to Pep Boys or Napa or whatever and buy one of those cup type filter wrenches. But don't use it when you put the filter back on. ***Hand Tighten*** or you'll regret it.

You guys forgot the number one thing about the filter install. Remember to put a bead of oil on the oil filter gasket before you install it. This prevent the filter from locking onto the engine.

I learned this when a friend working at a gas station changed the oil on my 67' Firebird. The filter wouldn't come off with the screw driver tricka nd I had to remove the oil line with the filter base firmly locked in place and use a bench vise to remove it

Oil the filter gasket!!!!!!

Also check the oil change thread from last week. There was plenty of discussion on oil, filter, wrenches and such. Just did it last week with the Mazda 626 V6 filter on my new P5, first oil change. Watch the exhaust(ouch) and you will bang a knuckle or two on the removal. Note the filter size just changed on the OEM filter so be aware of this issue. THe filter on my car, Mazda OEM, and the new filter were different diameter as Sir Nuke mentioned earlier.

I changed the oil in my P5 for the first time this weekend. I finally got the filter off with a locking filter wrench from harbor freight tools (40678-OVGA $7.99) check at www.harborfreight.com.
It has a locking mechanism like a vise grip. Wear a long sleeve shirt. You can only get to this filter from the underside of the car so you will need some rhino ramps.

Last edited:
justcharlie said:
UClap, can you refer us a place online that sells a 'really good filter wrench'?

:)

I purchased mine at NAPA. Just take in the filter you plan on changing it with (I use the mazda filters) and they will match one up for you. I got a band wrench where you can adjust the angle of the handle (great for changing on the p5).

It's the perfect wrench for the mazda filter.

Back