i just got my first oil/filter change...

NAYo2002

I took it to the dealer for service since I'm fairly new with cars. To my suprise they said the first service is always free. I saved myself 30 bucks...;) ... Is this like this for every dealer or just mine

My dealer doesn't do that! I'm so mad, they should always do the first free! Oh well, I don't like other men touching my baby anyway!

oh yea i just looked at the sheet and they did a full circle service. I thought it was only oil and filter. They topped off all fluid and did a multipoint inspection. None of it is really necessary since I only have 1015 miles but still, free stuff is always good.

NAYo2002 said:
oh yea i just looked at the sheet and they did a full circle service. I thought it was only oil and filter. They topped off all fluid and did a multipoint inspection. None of it is really necessary since I only have 1015 miles but still, free stuff is always good.

Did you say they replaced the engine oil?

I also got first service free and they did a full inspection of the car.

They also said that the first engine oil is not scheduled till the car's done 10 000 kms (6000 miles).

I change my oil every 3000 miles. My dealer gave me my first oil change free. BTW, I've worked on cars before and a "full inspection" takes about 2 minutes.

You should always change your oil every 3000 miles unless you're on a REEEEEEEEALLY tight budget. It's just better for your car. If you do it sooner than 3000, it's actually better for it, but 3 grands a good round number. The service schedules for all cars always exagerate the cars durability and engine oil consumption. That's why if you take the car to an Xpress oil change or somewhere like that, they'll always put a sticker on for the next change at 3000 past what it was then, no matter what the manufacturer says (example: Honda says 10,000 miles for all their cars, no matter what kind of driving conditions. That's another reason I ran from the Honda dealership as soon as I could detach the blood sucking parasite of a salesman)

You do not need to change your oil so often, things are not the same as back in the 80's...

Sure the first several should be done in rather short periods, but after that, filters have gotten to be much better, and teh oil is more resiliant..

If you do a lot of driving, or hard driving, then you may want to do it at like every 3000 miles/ 5000 km.

I know that I am going to change the oil once I get to 2,000 km and then again @ 5000, from their, probably every 8000 km, I am also gonna switch to synthetic on my first oil change..

Why is it transmission fluid is only changed every 25,000 km, but engine more often. There is just as much motion in your tranny, and is more intricet than you engine.

The only reason oil changes colour is because of the detergents in it to help clean.

as far as filters go, i found the best to be the mazda filters, all the others ive tried ALWAYS leaked, but not the mazda filters.

when to change the oil, deepend on more than this not being the 80's or what new oil is made of...

...elevation, climate, mods, vehicle use, driver competencey,syn-vs-org, fuel type, ect.

drive like an assh0le who h8s his car in 90 degree weather 300 days of the year waiting to shift at 7000 rpms, change it often

know what i mean

the 3000 mile interval was invented by jiffy lube, so they can make a quick buck. It seems to have worked, as most people on here actually believe it is "good" and necessary to change it every 3k instead of the recommended 7500.

I do mine every 5000 unless I was road racing, and I use tri synthetic and a larger oil filter to increase the oil pressure

What WT of oil and what brand is everyone using for their cars? I used to use Royal Purple Synthetic in my Audi A4 and it made a hell of a difference...better than Mobil 1..... Deciding what to use for my first oil change..well first oil change that I do...

been using mobil1 for a long time. no complaints. change it probably every 5000-6000km. i used to use it with a Fram oil filter, but switched back to OEM mazda filters.

A word of caution about prematurely using synthetic oil for the car... Regular oil has a higher viscosity than synthetic. We all know that. This higher viscosity is requiered for breaking in valve seals and other things important for proper sealing for the engine. Putting synthetic in your engine too soon will make it to where these seals wont seat properly and your engine will not work as well. I would go at least 20,000 miles or so before switching to synthetic. Just my opinion.

P.S. sorry if this reply seems a little unorganized in thought. (I just woke up)

Um, s***. How come no one ever mentioned that before in the other 300 oil threads there are here? Is it true? Cause I've never heard of it.

They didn't mention it because it's not true. Viscosity is a flow rate measured at a temperature range. Dino oil looks thick at room temps when poured but heat it up to operating temps and it appears thin. Synthetics look this way through more of their useful range and thus appear "thin" when you pour them.
I've put close to 400,000 miles on cars with synthetics. One starting at 15,000miles-220,000 and the other 105,000-270,000. I only changed the oil and filters every 10,000 miles. Check your oil and keep it full and change it and the filter to the warranty and you'll be fine.
This link explains the basics.

http://theserviceadvisor.com/oil.htm

While the author suggests not using it past 80,000 miles I personally did not experience any oil buring in either engine(1 VW, 1 Mazda) until 175,000. Then they burned less than 1qt in 3000 miles. I can't comment on the break in period since I didn't put synthetic in my new p5 until 5,000miles.

sorry if i offended the previous post, but viscosity is viscosity. If they have the same numbers they have the same viscosity.

My Mazda dealership says not to have the first oil change until 8,000 kms or 4 months whichever comes first. Should I stick to this or take it in sooner. I do bout 1,500 kms a month.

Back