Ceramic coating?????

Cirielle

Contributor
:
PROTEGE GONE!
Is ceramic coating necessary on our downpipes etc???? Does it really make a big engine life difference??? Is there significant horse power gains by having it??? Will hesitation be worse without it??? - when replacing the downpipe??? How hot will it get underneath my hood without it???????????

So if you were to get a FMIC you would want it to be coated???
Does our Turbos come coated??? What else would you coat? I have searched the web and got mixed signals on this one. Some people say you need it (usually the people selling the parts) and some other say you don't need it because it just isn't worth the money. Some say that it won't stand up to the heat a turbo can generate......etc!!!!!

I would highly advise AGAINST coating your intercooler... That would lead to the ceramic coating keeping in the heat, and thereby totally ruining the usability of the FMIC.

I generally don't think coating the turbo is a great idea as it will run hotter than it would uncoated and (maybe) reduce the turbo's life. To me, it's better to keep ambient heat from the engine bay away from your intake charge (i.e. coating intake pipes).

If you haven't noticed, the intake/intercooler pipes get crazy hot from ambient heat during hard runs. It's probably beneficial to coat or wrap all intake piping to limit heat exchange...the one possible exception being the pipe between turbo outlet and intercooler inlet. This air might actually be hotter than ambient from the turbo heat so an uncoated pipe may permit (limited) exchange from air to pipe before the air flows into the intercooler.

Peace...(hippy)

By coating the turbo housing, heat builds up quicker and boost comes in quicker. Turbo lag is reduced because the turbo doesn't slow down due to heat retention and expensive turbo housings are protected. All the best teams in drag racing run ceramic coatings on the turbo housings. All this equals faster spool up.

Exhaus systems can be coated to push its heat resistance to nearly 2500oF to decrease heat transmitted to the engine bay and interior as well as rust proofing everything.

Now depending on what type of intercooler you run, it doesnt make much since to put it on an A/A intercooler, but if you've owned a Toyota Celica Alltrac like myself, it is beneficial on a Water-to-Air intercooler.

Cirielle: The ceramic coating was suggested on your aftermarket downpipe to protect it from the very high heat of the exhaust exiting the turbo. Notice that the turbo itself and the exhaust pipe coming out the side of the turbo is cast from a high nickel content iron alloy? This is because it is a material picked to withstand high heat.

Our stock downpipe was also cast from this iron alloy. However, an aftermarket downpipe is usually just fabbed from some stainless steel pipe, which is less heat resistant. To help protect this stainless downpipe from the heat, some people have a ceramic coating applied to the inside of the pipe. It'll last longer that way.

Back