oil filter P/N change

Sir Nuke

about a month and a half ago I went to the dealer and got my front end aligned...while there I baught a 6 pack of oil filters for doing changes...

well today actually at 7 am when I got home from work I went out to change the oil and rotate the tires on my wifes P5. I got one of the filters off my work bench and when I opened the box I KNEW it was different...its SMALLER!!! well I imediately KNEW that they had given me the wrong filter at the dealer and was pissed.....so off to town I go.....not to the dealer...that is 50 miles away...but off to the local autozone.....and EVERY filter there was the same size....and I KNEW it was different as the part number on the side of the filter on the car was DIFFERENT.

WELL by the time I got home it was 9 and the dealers part counter was open....so I called and they verified that Mazda has a new supplier for their oil filters and the diameter is SLIGHTLY smaller and the part number has changed.

grrrrrrr.

sir nuke, want to share the old and new parts #'s with us? thanks, joe. btw, what kind and weight oil u usin?

So the filter diameter itself is smaller? Interesting; who was thier supplier before and who is it now?

BTW, about how much does a 6 pack cost you? Any price cut in buying them that way or individually (i.e. bulk pricing).

Also, what about shelf life; I am thinking I should buy two 6 packs to last me a while.

Thanks,
Dimitrios

Sir Nuke,
Someone else asked the question in another thread, but what about using a 626 V6 oil filer - would those fit on the MP3/MSP/MP5's? Esp. if you've gone synthetic. Just a thought/suggestion. Thanks.

bazooka joe said:
sir nuke, want to share the old and new parts #'s with us? thanks, joe. btw, what kind and weight oil u usin?

I will try to remember to go out to the shop tomorrow morning and write the number down.....and will post them tomorrow.

Dimitrios said:
So the filter diameter itself is smaller? Interesting; who was thier supplier before and who is it now?

BTW, about how much does a 6 pack cost you? Any price cut in buying them that way or individually (i.e. bulk pricing).

Also, what about shelf life; I am thinking I should buy two 6 packs to last me a while.

Thanks,
Dimitrios

YES the diameter is a slight bit smaller.....I don't know who the original filter maker was....but it did have MADE IN U.S.A. on the side...and the new ones don't have any makers markings on them.....

if my memory serves me a six pack cost about $25...no price break on getting more then just one.

as for shelf life? not an issue here....I am servicing TWO cars with them....and that means they don't last all that long. I can't imagine there being a real issue with it....the only reason I buy them like that is the dealer is 50 miles away and I don't get up that direction very often.

MadBiker said:
Sir Nuke,
Someone else asked the question in another thread, but what about using a 626 V6 oil filer - would those fit on the MP3/MSP/MP5's? Esp. if you've gone synthetic. Just a thought/suggestion. Thanks.

funny you should mention this...when at the part store looking at getting another one....I checked all the aftermarket filters there for the V6 as well and their DIAMETER was smaller like the 4 bangers diameter too....hmmmmm seems the oilfilter wrench guys are on kahoots with the filter makers!! grrrrr....but yes they work just fine....their diameter is the same...they are just a tad longer.

i bought oil filters in bulk at the dealer a while back and this is the part no. B6Y2 14 302 on the box, it's made in the USA by Tennex

blackp5 said:
i bought oil filters in bulk at the dealer a while back and this is the part no. B6Y2 14 302 on the box, it's made in the USA by Tennex

THAT is the number of the OLD filter....the NEW filter they are now carrying is

B6Y1 14 302

MadBiker said:
Sir Nuke,

This is the filter I have on my car now. I have been using them for some time now with no issues.

LinuxRacr said:

This is the filter I have on my car now. I have been using them for some time now with no issues.

Me Too.

Thanks Guys I think I will use the 626 V6 oil filter on my next oil change. What does Sir Nuke think?

the b6y1-14-302 have been out for a while, i use them on my rx7 and my protege with out any problems..

MadBiker said:
Thanks Guys I think I will use the 626 V6 oil filter on my next oil change. What does Sir Nuke think?

I think that when I buy my next batch of filters....I am going to get the bigger V6 filters.....it certainly can not hurt.

i'm going to start doing my own oil/filter changes and i was wondering if i should try this filter. if i understand correctly, if it's large, will it require any more oil? or is it negligible? what syn oil do you guys use? thanks, joe.

mazda has switched back to the Tokyo Roki supplier for oil filters... they have much better quality materials than the Tennex supplier, even though both are good filters to begin with

I just went into the dealer and asked for a 2000 626 v6 oil filter and they gave me one with this part number: G6Y0-14-302A-CA.

It's bigger than the OEM Protege5 one, but my main concern is that it may not fit as they look quite different. The threading looks a lot more recessed on my old one. Have a look at these photos and tell me what you think:

Old OEM Protege5 (yes, it's very dirty. been sitting outside for months)

/members/erikvonb/resize of filter 005.jpg

New 626 filter:
/members/erikvonb/resize of filter 004.jpg

Thanks,

Erik

Back