Replica wheels, why buy them?

EXA4DRIVER

:
04 Suzuka Blue S2000
I just never understood this. Why would you buy Tenzo, Konig, etc... Your gonna pay a pretty good chunk of change for a new set of wheels anyway, why not wait a couple of extra months to save more money to get the real deal. For example, Konig Holes are advertised for around $800-900 for a 17" wheel w/tires. Why not save an extra $200 and get the real deal, 5 Zigen Typhoons?

Some people don't really care about originality only the looks.

Wheels - peice of metal who gives a crap if they have a real sticker on them.

i dunno how the hell you can call the holes a replica of the typhoons

get_image.php

zigtyp.large.jpg

theyre both wheels, so how is one the "real deal" and the others what, made out of plastic, a phony?

my friend had some really tight bmw motorsport replica wheels, they looked exactly like the real thing but cost hundreds less apiece

those were replicas because they were imitating a MUCH more expensive racing wheel, i think the 2 you mentioned look somewhat similair but i dont think anyone is trying to copy anyone else and make replicas...who would buy a replica of a 5zigen wheel anyways?

dude, u ain't buying the real deal from 5 zigen as well, all of the US bound 5 zigen are the "made in tailand" wheels or "made in somewhere not japan" kinda wheels, if u want the real deal, go to Japan and get their real deal. most of the japanese brand name wheels aren't made in japan, only for our market, but the japanese people get their own good stuff... !

:note to self:

get friends to join navy to import parts STRAIGHT from japan and sell them for lots of money in the US

I thought the same way in the beginning, but after looking at the cost to replace the wheels is what is making me go for imitation. Especially with the wheels I want. The originals at the cheapest will cost you a good $2300 for the set and that's just wheels alone. Even Rishie noticed that even with having the VOLK LE-37T's on his P5, he got less attention that another member who had a yellow P5 with bronze sub-zero's on it. If I was Rishie, I'd be a little bothered too.

well it all depends.

if your making a show car and you use namebrand stuff then the judges and others will jock your car more.

i guess if your just fixing up your daily ride than knockoffs are good enough.

personally i am a stickler for brand names just cause you have more bragging right because people know they cost the big bucks

has anyone every had any problems with Koing wheels? They are a pretty decent brand and I have magazines with pictures of the "holes" wheels before I saw the 5 Zigen "typhoons". PLus the 5Zigen dont come in gun metal with a sliver lip.

hB1 said:
dude, u ain't buying the real deal from 5 zigen as well, all of the US bound 5 zigen are the "made in tailand" wheels or "made in somewhere not japan" kinda wheels, if u want the real deal, go to Japan and get their real deal. most of the japanese brand name wheels aren't made in japan, only for our market, but the japanese people get their own good stuff... !

I totoally here ya. But only certain models. And the materials are shipped to those other countries, but are still from Japan. But as long as the wheels are VIA, JWL and ISO certified, they should be ok. I don't think Konig, Tenzo, Motegi, Roja and companies of the sort are.

APEXiSTUD made a good point about Rota's, and they too are also certified by VIA, JWL and ISO.

xoom xoom said:
has anyone every had any problems with Koing wheels? They are a pretty decent brand and I have magazines with pictures of the "holes" wheels before I saw the 5 Zigen "typhoons". PLus the 5Zigen dont come in gun metal with a sliver lip.

You gotta read Option. Typhoons have been out for a while befor the Konigs came out. :)

EXA4DRIVER said:

Why is that?

Because a company that is ISO certified does not necessarily offer a product of greater quality than the one not certified.

Having ISO certification means that there is a quality control system implemented in the company and that the company's standards are respected in the product they sell. If the company produce "medium-quality" wheels and they follow their standards and use a quality-control system then they can be ISO certified. On the other hand, the best quality wheels manufacturer is not necessarily certified.

They ISO certification certifies the "working process" rather than the finished product. (Obviously, if the working process is of quality, so should the product be.) There is no ISO standards in wheels manufacturing. Just standards in products manufacturing.

Nobody can assure that a wheels made by an ISO certified company is of better quality than a wheel made by a non-certified company.

exactly... ISO doesn't mean s*** when it comes to the quality of the prodct being manufactured..

All that ISO certs means is that that company is good at documenting what teh make..

If they say, we're going to make 50% crap, and make 50% crap, then VIOLA! ISO certs for you... It's just a matter of documenting your quality control checks and processes (this is the crap I deal with every day)

you just set your "specs" for the product your going to make and document you results to that... your "spec" does not signifany in any way that your product is better than your compeditors....

the end :)

for some people it's the cost and risk evaluation...esepecially here in az where auto-theft and wheel theft is a huge problem...people just can't justify buying nice wheels or high price mods since it's most likely gonna get stolen...

however, going to a "knock-off" sometimes means that you're getting lowering quality (notice i said sometimes)...i knew some guy in school that got some cheap 17's don't recall the brand but they were knock-offs of OZs and after about a month one of them was dented in...OZs are strong wheels and i know that real OZs wouldn't have been toast after a month

for me it's all about quality and authenticy...if you're gonna fix your car up do it right...don't skimp otherwise you'll just end up with a fixed up car that looks and drives like crap (i've seen it too much)...that's why i can't understand why people will go the cheap route as soon as they have a couple of bills in their pocket...just save another week and spend it accordingly...oh well that's my opinion

sundevilMP5 said:
for some people it's the cost and risk evaluation...esepecially here in az where auto-theft and wheel theft is a huge problem...people just can't justify buying nice wheels or high price mods since it's most likely gonna get stolen...

however, going to a "knock-off" sometimes means that you're getting lowering quality (notice i said sometimes)...i knew some guy in school that got some cheap 17's don't recall the brand but they were knock-offs of OZs and after about a month one of them was dented in...OZs are strong wheels and i know that real OZs wouldn't have been toast after a month

for me it's all about quality and authenticy...if you're gonna fix your car up do it right...don't skimp otherwise you'll just end up with a fixed up car that looks and drives like crap (i've seen it too much)...that's why i can't understand why people will go the cheap route as soon as they have a couple of bills in their pocket...just save another week and spend it accordingly...oh well that's my opinion

Well said :)

EXA4DRIVER said:
I just never understood this. Why would you buy Tenzo, Konig, etc... Your gonna pay a pretty good chunk of change for a new set of wheels anyway, why not wait a couple of extra months to save more money to get the real deal. For example, Konig Holes are advertised for around $800-900 for a 17" wheel w/tires. Why not save an extra $200 and get the real deal, 5 Zigen Typhoons?

you're paying the extra $200 for the name .. you're paying $200 extra for the centercap. WHY?

on my last car I bought a set of 5Zigen "GT8" wheels. I loved them. When they showed up at my door they had the 5Zigen center caps to go with them AS WELL AS HPRacing center caps. I was thinking, :wtf: , then I looked at HPRACING.COM and found the HPRacing "Typhoon" wheel is the exact same wheel but cheaper in price.

What a waste of my money.

Back