how 2 reduce road noise and engine noise and wind noise ?

Alantje

hi all i just have a question for u guys
all of u who own a p5 what do u guys think about the noise inside the care above 60miles an hour?

1.i have already done alot like taking out the carpet and putting some other isulation materials under it
2. also did the same for all 4 doors
3. the rear wiels have isolated also with carpet isulation materials which has a huge effect
4.and the same for the rear sits seat belts where they are mounted there comes alot of road noise inside... so thats also done
5. i have added extra windstrips 2 the doors wich reduce wind noise a litle bit more rear doors has some more effect... cause there was just 1 strip standard.
6. i have putted a strip by the engine hood for the windshield
7. i took out the plate for the hood and added some more isulation s*** under it which also result in reducing a little bit..

and after all those things i think its sounds a little bit too loud for me above 70 miles an hour i can hear the engine really good

do u guys have any other idea for reducing engine noise or reducing more raod and wind noise is also ok :D

thanx u all

I love the engine noise! Especially after my Short-Ram was put it! How quiet do you actually want it? I mean, you can only supress it so much.

i want to be as quiet as driving 80 miles an hour but same noise as 60miles an hour

i have a 1.6 16v not the 2.0L so when drivin 100kmh 60mph it is 3200rpm and 120kmh 72mph it will be 3700 RPM which sounds little bit 2 noisy

i just want that i can hear ppl who are sitting in the back

tear out your interior, pull out your carpet, Cover from the firewall back with Dynamat, this would probably set you back quite a bit of change, and it would add roughly 20-40 lbs to your car, but the difference would be very noticable.

If you want a car that quiet, buy a Buick or Cadillac. Other than that, you have an econobox. These cars are made for efficiency, not really comfort.
Dyanamat will help a lot, but you're going to need a lot of it to get the kind of deadening you want. That will add a ton of weight. I have seen people have to upgrade their suspension after installing a lot of Dynamat. Weight does crazy things to cars.
You may also notice the weight difference in gas mileage and power.

slower protege

if you add extra weight then your car will become slower.
you'll be going in the opposite direction to everyone on this board.
it seems like everyone is complaining about how slow the protege is and they all want to go faster...

but i dont think the the protege is that loud. i drove the '00 protege and it was much louder.
if you really want a quiet riding car then you should have opted for a big domestic car with couch like handling

Last edited:
maybe my previous prelude was just loud, but my Protege5 seems extremely nice and quiet even at high speeds. I got my undercarriage sprayed and it's supposed to damped the sound 70% so perhaps this helped remove some of the sound...

Alantje, you already mentioned that you put more insulation in a lot of places....you didn't say what KIND of insulation. if you really want it to do any good...it should be something like DYNAMAT....

if that or a simalar product is what you used...well you did the floor, the doors, and the rear of the car....

NOW...go and remove the entire headliner and do the roof. other then the firewall its about all you missed.

Personally....we took my wifes P5 on vacation last summer....okay ours has the 2L motor...but with four people in the car and the back loaded up to the top of the rear seat....and running at 85 MPH.....it was really quite enjoyable from a noise standpoint....I didn't even have to crank up the tunes....I was quite impressed considering we DO own econoboxes.

Yes, the P5 is loud. My 2003 Jetta is WAY less noisy. In fact, that's my biggest (and really only) problem with the P5. Every magazine review I've ever seen mentions the wind/road noise.

I think better/more weatherstripping around the doors would go a long way. I think Dynamat on the firewall would kill some of the engine noise too. There isn't much insulation in the doors, or under the carpet so you'd really have to do a lot to get any real gains there.

thanx guys i have used under carpet for livingrooms and for the doorsi used some foam i am not sure what they call it in english o_O
cause dynamat is way 2 expensive... doing whole car will cost me 2 much money....

well there is already a noticeble noise different but maybe dynomat is better than undercarpet for livingrooms ? i am now painting and spraying the wheel cupboards

the wind and road noise sitting in the back is not much what i can hear is the wind noise from my windshield wipers and the engine noise from the front....
i thikn i will have to buy some dynomat just for the engini area.

will it help much iif i do the roof aswell?

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/

Type "sound control" or "sound damping" or "noise reduction" into the search. There is lots of stuff that will suit your needs and a quick education on sound control.

They have a dynamat like substance(same stuff but WAY cheaper). For gods sake don't buy dynamat. Its a rip off. This stuff is the same thing.

Dynamat isn't going to do much for engine noise. You need to block and absorb it. mcmastercarr has lots of stuff for that.

There is a site that explains this stuff in detail. Do some google'ing

here is the part number on www.mcmaster.com

9709T19

Type it into the search.

Also, slight correction. If you type 'sound damping' into the search, it will pull up almost everything you need. If you have more questions, just ask.

Alantje
I have to respect you for going in a different direction than most of us. Most of us are making our cars less comfortable to drive (ask me about my polyurethane bushings). Can you post some pics of exactly what you are doing? And stuff you have already done. I wouldn't mind having a quieter car as long as it doesn't add too much weight. Try looking for Road Kill as well.

thanx tonpow :p

wesman hmm i will try to get my camera fix but if not i had some pics on my other computer
making it more quieter doenst have to be adding more weight cause i have also used some other stuff wich is very light

well i know what u mean all of u want to be faster and want some more sporty well i also like the comfort cause i am not going to race with that car on street so it doenst matter at all

and btw i have a 1.6 16v 98HP so i thikn i cant race with others at all :D i ues the p5 for normal use thats why :D

but i try to make some pics for u there are some points wich makes alots of road noise which u can reduce it by adding 1 or 2 KG not that much ...

Back