Oil Consumption

spazspike

I've had the car since the 20th of June, I've put 1600 miles on it with a majority of that being the break-in period. I actually didn't push the engine above 65mph (or 4k rpm) until 800 miles for good measure. Although it's been warm, down right opressive at times I've limited the A/C use till I hit 1000 miles. Didn't even touch the "sport" mode of the automatic transmission till 850 miles.

In other words, I've been extremely careful to ensure that everything is worked into place slowly as I'd really like to see this car reach 6 figures on the ODO.

Despite checking the oil once a week and noticing no leaks, spills or ponds under the car my dip stick shows me down at least a quart. I'd imagine the dealer put 10w-30 into the vehicle initially but I'm curious as to this irregular consumption. It's a brand new car (for all intensive purposes) that's been barely pushed until about 1000 miles. I've checked the oil at various temperatures (cold idle, cold off, warm idle) and they all yield this result.

Is this to be expected or is this something ary?

Oil consumption in a new car is normal. It occurs until the rings and seals properly break in.
I'd say 1 quart is a little excessive though, take it to the dealer.

Logan said:
Oil consumption in a new car is normal. It occurs until the rings and seals properly break in. I'd say 1 quart is a little excessive though, take it to the dealer.

So I don't look like a total goof talking to the service department, what should I have them look for in the engine compartment? A potential leak?

No, just say you think it's burning more oil than a new engine should.
They will probably top it up and tell you to keep an eye on it. But at least you will have logged the "problem".

just out of curiousity do you notice it puff a little bit of blue/white smoke in the morning when you first start it...

Nope. I figured one culprit might be because I pushed the engine too hard to quick, but I doubt that is it because I waited till almost 1000 miles on the ODO before I even tried going 75-80mph in it.

I'm not opposed to putting a quart in it today and I probably will to ensure the dipstick reads full. But my bigger concern is that there's a potential leak that could cause problems once the vehicle grows older in mileage.

I'll try the quart today and give it till the 3000 mile mark when I'll take it to the dealer for the first oil change. At which point I'll have them snoop around.

from what you've said i don't think you have a break-in problem...most manufactures do a pre-delivery engine break-in anyways. still not a good idea to kill it for awhile, but none the less kinda makes break in a little eaiser. if you are consuming oil most likely from blow-by. i thought you might have a valve stem or so leaking thats the reason for the smoking when cold. if you're still goin to the MJM meet up at GMU and haven't gotten it to a dealer to look at it, i'll give you a hand and maybe we can come up with something....

20ESGUY said:
if you're still goin to the MJM meet up at GMU and haven't gotten it to a dealer to look at it, i'll give you a hand and maybe we can come up with something....

Excellent! I'm toying with bringing my new exhaust to grab a hand from someone as well. I didn't want to make it a tech-meet but I figured, what de hey!

the only break in an engine needs is to never let it idle. Try not to maintain the same speed, always vary a little up and down. Some of you might think I am crazy, but my protege has almost 21,000 miles on it, and while I don't beat on my car, there is a reason I have a radar detector.

Blue smoke is oil burning if memory serves.

Excellent! I'm toying with bringing my new exhaust to grab a hand from someone as well. I didn't want to make it a tech-meet but I figured, what de hey!

bring it along...with as few people as it looks like are going we should have a good time doing that kinda stuff. i'll bring a small selection of tools and maybe some of the other folks will jump in. I'll post it over in the MJM sign-up thread that we'll try some small techy stuff. don't know GMU regs on it, but i'm sure pr00 does.

Blue/Purple smoke is indeed oil burning. I feel as though I've gotten well past the break-in period. No worries, I'll be doing a 1500 mile oil change and moving over to synthetic come Sunday. Blasted rain prevented that learning experience tonight.

As for the MJM tech stuff, sounds great. I'll contact you as it gets closer to confirm.

Back