boost and nitrous together unite?!

deckedoutmp5

:
02 MP5 #3256
Ok, I am getting my kit from Juan (hiboost) this week. I chose the hiboost kit because to me thier kit seems to have it all together. I love all the other kits too but it dont matter cause you all are slacking on the automatic. So needless to say, hiboost's kit will fit mine. Well having an auto its goin to take more power away from it to get it to go, once boosted yes i wont loose boost on the shifts like a manual but the adverse initial power loss at first is what i want to fix. I will be running it at 8 psi. NOW MY QUESTION IS to Juan, Terry or Perf (or whoever would know) would it hurt to add a 30 shot to it... just to add the little umph when you wanted it on the fly with a window switch. I will be upgrading my rods this fall so the stock compression will be held the same.... any thoughts ideas, upgrade fuel pump, rail, reg?.... let your thoughts go.... grab a beer. :)

peace- trav

standard disclaimer: I'm no mechanic, but.

If you are going to do this, either go with direct port injection, or have a custom intake manifold designed. The stock manifold design will allow for puddling - which you don't want. Then again, acidbbg is on this forum and he is running a 75 shot, so you might want to ask him.

My car will have Perf's kit on it by the end of the month. I'm going for reliability, and just a little more power. Daily Driving will be done at 5 psi. The only time I intend to switch to 8psi is on the dyno, and later at the track. I'll have to see how well my self control does.

Keep us posted on your progress with HiBoost's kit on your auto. Take lots of pics.

Anything over 4-5psi in my opinion on an auto is begging for trouble. Add a 30 shot and kiss your tranny bye bye;)
Try to check out level 10 or something on fortifying your tranny

spoolinmp3 said:
Anything over 4-5psi in my opinion on an auto is begging for trouble. Add a 30 shot and kiss your tranny bye bye;)
Try to check out level 10 or something on fortifying your tranny

I am not worried about running 8 lbs... the tranny will be ok, remember that HP on the dyno for manuals is more then a auto. tranny will be ok to 250... but my question is nitrous... not just for me but for others on this board manual or auto, i know there are some thinking about this... there are a few around here that run with both and they are daily drivers... so back to my question...

If longevity is not an issue for you sure I suppose you could do it. I would not run nitrous on a turbo even with a manual but again just my professional opinion unless you are using an accurate fuel and timing map specifically for your turbo and a 30 shot

yeah, I agree with spool on this one. But hell - I'll look forward to reading about how it goes.

Everytime someone on this board destroys something, we all stand to benefit from learning how it happenned.

Spool, you are telling him levelten for the Torque Convertor right? Or are you talking about a tranny rebuild?

No way in hell will you have enough fuel w/ stock injectors and fuel pressure for 8psi AND Nitrous. Take the $ for the nitrous kit and put it towards ignition management or forged internals.

If you MUST get nitrous, get one of those nitrous kits that cool the outside of your FMIC.

I assume you want to use the N20 just for a small RPM limit till you spool up and boost begins to kick. You could always try an RPM or boost sensitive switch hooked to the N20 system. With your N20 hooked to a WOT switch you would have the nitrous untill boost kicked in and then your turbo would pull all the way. I still suggest talking to level10 though.

is it possible to shoot nitrous to X rpms? do they make some sort of switch for that?

Pirana said:
what the hell is level 10?

level 10 is a place that does custom tranny work and aftermarket race applications. they make everything for our cars. most deal with automatics since thats what you want to use for a drag car and you dont loose boost like you do on a manual. they are expensive but you have to pay to play.

also on the nitrous im looking at a window switch yes to kick in before i spool, i will have a fast spool but would like to cool my manny and have some power before full boost. it can be done stock injectors can be used. they will not be used at the same time under wot (ie, full purged shot and full boost) so its ok.

many many people do this, but our ecus are a bit tricky. but i will see what happens.

peace

A quote I got from level ten quite a while ago was like 3400$. This to build a tranny good for 300-500 WHP. It's alot of money, I think the torque converter at a different stall ratio was only 450 to 500 for our application. Mind you that a crisper shifting torque converter will help but used on a none built tranny may shorten the life of the stock unit. I have been looking for a local company to rebuild my tranny but I have not had the money to invest so my motivation for this is very limited right now. Good luck with the 30 Shot.

I accually have a MSD RPM activated window switch sitting around brand new and unused if you want it. I had it when I had nitrous, but never got to install it. PM me for details.

the thing everyone always tells me is why not just notch up the bo0st a little instead of getting nitrous....i just think it would be the sheit to have both, and you can use the bo0st daily, and when you need an extra kick just hit a switch.....im also looking for an answer to this question....terry, will your microtech be able to accomidate something like this? email me with specs, i know that i can just turn up the bo0st but i want to put nitrous....im looking at 10psi with a 30-50 shot of nitrous....let me know what you think

the thing everyone always tells me is why not just notch up the bo0st a little instead of getting nitrous....i just think it would be the sheit to have both, and you can use the bo0st daily, and when you need an extra kick just hit a switch.....im also looking for an answer to this question....terry, will your microtech be able to accomidate something like this? email me with specs, i know that i can just turn up the bo0st but i want to put nitrous....im looking at 10psi with a 30-50 shot of nitrous....let me know what you think stock internals by the way

I'm pretty sure that 10psi + a 50 shot would blow your stock internals. :(

I thought Linux blew his first engine with NOS. ( Not to bring back bad memories ) But, I believe this is before he went forced fed. Maybe he might be able to run down what went wrong with his so you can avoid just NOS issues.

2001redmicadave said:
I thought Linux blew his first engine with NOS. ( Not to bring back bad memories ) But, I believe this is before he went forced fed. Maybe he might be able to run down what went wrong with his so you can avoid just NOS issues.

Yeah, he did. I don't remember why exactly it blew though.

deckedoutmp5 said:

I am not worried about running 8 lbs... the tranny will be ok, remember that HP on the dyno for manuals is more then a auto. tranny will be ok to 250...

where are you getting this info? not saying you're wrong. I just want to know the source. I'm with Terry on this one. Stick to one power adder. It's safer, cheaper, and less to diagnose if something goes wrong. Also, why are people acting like you lose all boost when shifting a manuel? The turbo is still spinning between shifts and once the engine is under load again the turbo will hit max boost quickly.

Back