How To: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

^ nice how-to, started this tonight (striped one of the screws.... doh!...) will finish up 2morrow

Yay 3 of my 8 screws stripped (yes, I was using a #2 Mac screw driver). ******* winter roads and the s*** they do to them...

So were any of you other guys that got this installed experiencing the leaning out that turfburn and dumb keola were experiencing? I figured, if anything, the higher flowing pump would cause the car to run even richer. Just curious as I'm going to install my AFC finally tomorrow and I figured I might as well install this as well.

Interesting - that would explain the leaning out issues you all were having. Khaosman, any input?

EXTREMELY well elaborated. Just read this 10 mins before changing the fuel pump and it made my life 10x easier. Followed all the steps in order with the correct tools and had no problems whatsoever.

Even though I coulndt add the zip tie in there, I made sure it was tight and wont fall.

A+++++ How to

Keola,

The GSS 340 is what we use. Pull the red cap off the base and put on the filter I provided you with. The GSS 340 and 342 are the same pumps except that the 340 has a larger inlet and uses its own filter. We do not use the 342 because you have to reuse your stock filter and the inlet is very small.

So let me get this right....the MSP will use the GSS340 and NOT the GSS342? My MSP went to shiza tonight and I've been researching for over an hour. Everyone is telling me its the fuel pump. I was cruising on the freeway when car just felt like it ran out of gas. (Full Tank) She would start up fine but would die almost immediately. Everytime I try to start she will...but will die shortly thereafter. If I give her some gas she seems to bog a little, backfire, and then die. But if I floor it she will stay on...but the moment i let up on the gas she immediately dies. Can this be the fuel pump or filter? Even the tow guy said this. Please help!!!

i believe the filter is a lifetime filter. 340 is the right one. i used 342, it works just fine but takes little more work to get in on.

CLICK

Last edited:
Bump for an update...I'll be putting in my GSS342 and wondering about leaning out. I'm hoping this is just related to the torn grommet seal.

I'm debating whether I should wait until I get my rc750's flow tested and swap them in at the same time so i don't have to retune twice??

when it functioned properly i never had problems with leaning out. always held pressure fine.

**i posted this in the other thread, but here it is again.**

i recently put in the walbro fuel pump and it DID NOT change the fuel pressure.

However, i do have an aftermarket fpr (aeromotive unit). Maybe this unit does a better job regulating and sustaining the set pressure...?

Install went fine although 3 out of 8 of those crap screws stripped. Added about 4% fuel in vac from -10 thru -22 and pulled some out up top for a perfect 11.8-12afrs at 20-22psi. Still maxing out so rc750's will definately be going in.

I think this is originally the same as the miata... we just use the stock housing and filter. It's a little longer so you just have to trim the cap a little to get it to fit. I say try to get a new sock filter from the dealer since I had to reuse the clip and it got a bit mangled trying to get it off without breaking it.

Back