How To: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

duMb KeoLa said:
what fuel pumps can actually be used for this? i got one from mam and its the gss340 and it doesnt look anything like the right one... anyone know the deal?

No s*** eh??? wow... got pics?

Keola,

The GSS 340 is what we use. Pull the red cap off the base and put on the filter I provided you with. The GSS 340 and 342 are the same pumps except that the 340 has a larger inlet and uses its own filter. We do not use the 342 because you have to reuse your stock filter and the inlet is very small.

thanks for clearing that up buddy... i will do this today and let you know how it goes... ill post pics also so everyone can see how the gss340 looks in the car...

tekkie said:
I dont know if this was mentioned in this thread or not but this makes it even a little easier.

My walbro had 4 plastic tabs on it at the bottom, I just heated up a razor blade and cut them off, then I cut into the plastic piece as shown in the attached file. This way you do not have to cut the edges of the plastic piece that holds the pump in place, no wire ties, less chance of it falling off. The rubber support that was there had to be removed though, but its holding perfectly this way. Now you can go back to stock if you want :D

this is exactly what i did. It clips on nice and firm and no tie wraps. If the dang wife hadnt taken the digital camera tonite, I would take pics. I think the how to should be updated with this way and not the tie wrap way.

Is this, "Step Eight: Either transfer the the screen to the new pump, or if you bought a new one, put it on the new pump." referring to the fuel filter? I`ve wondered about changing my own fuel filter and I would like to. Do I do it pretty much the same way?

protegeric said:
Is this, "Step Eight: Either transfer the the screen to the new pump, or if you bought a new one, put it on the new pump." referring to the fuel filter? I`ve wondered about changing my own fuel filter and I would like to. Do I do it pretty much the same way?
No this is not the fuel filter. This is the little "bag" filter that filters stuff from getting in the pump. More of a screen I'd guess you could say.

ok, are there two things that should be changed then? the filter and the screen deal? or just the filter?

kyle's protege5 said:
No this is not the fuel filter. This is the little "bag" filter that filters stuff from getting in the pump. More of a screen I'd guess you could say.

OK, I`m gonna change my filter. Check out the links in my sig. also for Protege info. Thanks...

kyle's protege5 said:
You never really have to replace the bag screen, just the filter

may sound like a dumb question, but does the msp rear seat just pull off? feels like it's latched on somewhere.

yeah if you pull up on the front of it there are 2 plastic clips that hold the seat down, dont worry you wont break them they are real sturdy

now the dealer is tellin me there is no filter. whats the deal? i went to buy one and they wouldnt give me one... anyone got a part # or etc.?

I came up empty with my suppliers to get walbro.... talk to Ken (CaptainKRMp5) or email protegegarage.com as they may be able to do it.. Ken will take carte of you.

Back