Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

Are you threatening me? stef_nz's Avatar

Just as a side note to this great "How-to", I've just put one in my car. It wasn't the miata one, was the rx7 model P/N GSS341 not P/N GSS342.
    2nd Gen specifics:-
    I didn't need to cut up any pieces to get these things to fit - our pumps are mounted on a metal rail in a kinda bent L shape where the pump sits on the bottom piece of the L. If you simply bend the piece that the pump sits on you can position the pump outlet back in line with the pipe with the only drawback being that you push the electrical connector slightly further into the tank. This allows you to use all the bits that come with the kit without modification...........I hope, my car is still running anyways

ps, nice hum too
    Last edited by stef_nz; 04-16-2004 at 04:38 PM.

Me?

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Talking

Last edited by instylz; 04-19-2004 at 05:27 PM.

2002 MB C32 AMG

so which one is it for the MSP, GSS341 or GSS342? i want to make sure before i tear into my car...
    2003 Apex Silver EVO...with a few tweeks (boom07)

01 Sunlight Silver ES

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTMSP
    so which one is it for the MSP, GSS341 or GSS342? i want to make sure before i tear into my car...
    I just did the install today. I used the GSS342..

USMC

2002 MB C32 AMG

but you don't have an MSP, i am wondering if there is any difference?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 MB C32 AMG

also, is there any fear of the zip tie disentegrating from the fuel? that would be a very bad mishap...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Banned
    Donated: $29.99
    t3ase is a tease

but you don't have an MSP, i am wondering if there is any difference?
    There is no difference. If Mazda's developers had changed our fuel system in our MSPs, we wouldn't have some of the issues that we do.

2002 MB C32 AMG

i just went to install my pump and the GSS 341 will NOT work. The ends are on opposite sides of the pump, not the same side like the GSS 342, <-----this is the pump you need to use, at least for the MSP. the issue is the way that the screen attaches to the pump, it can only attach one way because of the way that it sits in the pump. someone please make a note of this at the top of this thread before someone else makes this mistake...

Banned
    t3ase is a tease

i just went to install my pump and the GSS 341 will NOT work. The ends are on opposite sides of the pump, not the same side like the GSS 342, <-----this is the pump you need to use, at least for the MSP. the issue is the way that the screen attaches to the pump, it can only attach one way because of the way that it sits in the pump. someone please make a note of this at the top of this thread before someone else makes this mistake...
    Errrr... I installed the Miata pump mentioned in the first post today on another MSP. It went in fine.

Banned
    t3ase is a tease

My other reply mentioning that there is no difference was in response to your "but you dont have a MSP" statement, not an answer to your original question.

2002 MB C32 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by t3ase
    Errrr... I installed the Miata pump mentioned in the first post today on another MSP. It went in fine.
    right, this is the one to use, the GSS 342, the other one is backwards from what we need, it won't allow the screen to sit the way it needs to in the tank.

'99 1.6L Protege

Advice to anyone doing this mod.....buy 8 extra screws (the soft ones that hold the unit in place) from the dealership. As he mentioned...they are very soft and can easily strip (which will most likely happen)

Good How-To.
    Jeremy W
    -2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 - Metropolitan Grey

duMb TeaM

wooohoooo...finally got mine in thanks to big dave (pro5)...but we have one question..

how loud is the new fuel pump supposed to be over stock? we put it in and its louder...but not as loud as we expected... what could be the problem of this?

thanks
    duMb Ke0La

duMb TeaM

okay...well we took it for a test run and got into some trouble...the car wont run good at all...it hesitates in everygear as long as there is load on the car...i had to run in 3rd gear at 80mph to get a 14.7-15 on the wideband...and thats the best reading i got

the car ran great for about 20 miles...then it just went to sheit, we noticed that the pump didnt initially come on when the car was first turned on (it didnt have that humming sound like it was pumping fuel to the engine...) but it started. now i dont know what to do or why its acting this way

anyone else know what could have caused this? any help would be great...thanks

'01 Yellow MP3 #1026

Keola, I have an inline setup, but when I turn the key on I'll get a hum from the pump for a little bit, and then it goes quiet until I start the car and it is actually running.

You will have to completely retune your car with the pump, it changes your fuel pressure in the lines (I'm pretty sure, but please don't quote me on it!) and that will totally fubar your AFR's. My pump fluctuates with voltage in the car, and just the minor pitch changes I can hear from my pump (MSD inline) I see jumps of as much or more than 1.2 points of AFR. So it's a pretty major deal just in voltage fluctuation.
    Technical blog now available:
    Tuned to Think

Feel free to provide suggestions for future articles.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast