How To: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

t3ase said:
Errrr... I installed the Miata pump mentioned in the first post today on another MSP. It went in fine.
right, this is the one to use, the GSS 342, the other one is backwards from what we need, it won't allow the screen to sit the way it needs to in the tank.

Advice to anyone doing this mod.....buy 8 extra screws (the soft ones that hold the unit in place) from the dealership. As he mentioned...they are very soft and can easily strip (which will most likely happen)

Good How-To.

wooohoooo...finally got mine in thanks to big dave (pro5)...but we have one question..

how loud is the new fuel pump supposed to be over stock? we put it in and its louder...but not as loud as we expected... what could be the problem of this?

thanks

okay...well we took it for a test run and got into some trouble...the car wont run good at all...it hesitates in everygear as long as there is load on the car...i had to run in 3rd gear at 80mph to get a 14.7-15 on the wideband...and thats the best reading i got

the car ran great for about 20 miles...then it just went to sheit, we noticed that the pump didnt initially come on when the car was first turned on (it didnt have that humming sound like it was pumping fuel to the engine...) but it started. now i dont know what to do or why its acting this way

anyone else know what could have caused this? any help would be great...thanks

Keola, I have an inline setup, but when I turn the key on I'll get a hum from the pump for a little bit, and then it goes quiet until I start the car and it is actually running.

You will have to completely retune your car with the pump, it changes your fuel pressure in the lines (I'm pretty sure, but please don't quote me on it!) and that will totally fubar your AFR's. My pump fluctuates with voltage in the car, and just the minor pitch changes I can hear from my pump (MSD inline) I see jumps of as much or more than 1.2 points of AFR. So it's a pretty major deal just in voltage fluctuation.

Also, you can leave the backseat parts off, and once the car is started check to make sure you feel the pump vibrating and that everything looks good to the eyes.

Are your AFR's richer or leaner than what you had before?

I can hear mine pump when I get out of my car when it is at idle , almost sounds like a quiet vacum cleaner

yah...mine sounds the same as that...but the only thing was that when i initially turned the key on (the first time) it never pumped. i can hear the car humming when its at idle, but the afr is totally ****** up. i cant even drive the car because its so lean, so i dont know what the **** is going on. i tried to start the car today and nothing. it sounds like itll kick over then it just keeps turning and no start. i dont know whats going on but i think it might be the fuel pump.

how much does the fuel pump depend on the voltage? i mean, its not good if its gonna run different when the voltage changes...that would mean you cant run a/c, lights, sounds...nothing

duMb KeoLa said:
yah...mine sounds the same as that...but the only thing was that when i initially turned the key on (the first time) it never pumped. i can hear the car humming when its at idle, but the afr is totally ****** up. i cant even drive the car because its so lean, so i dont know what the **** is going on. i tried to start the car today and nothing. it sounds like itll kick over then it just keeps turning and no start. i dont know whats going on but i think it might be the fuel pump.

how much does the fuel pump depend on the voltage? i mean, its not good if its gonna run different when the voltage changes...that would mean you cant run a/c, lights, sounds...nothing
I'd assume that since your problems started when the pump went in.... I'd check to see if it is picking up fuel ok.. check to make sure you have pressure and so foth... don't know if you have a fuel pressure gauge or not.

Mine seems to fluctuate with voltage, I don't know if the walbro behaves better or not... I'm thinking about getting one because my pump system has done a few weird things of late.

I'm thinking of using a high amperage voltage regulator to make sure that the voltage doesn't fluctuate everywhere and is locked in very tight.

well installed mine last night.... car is running... but it was quite a bit lean... I richened the maps by about 16% to compensate for out of boost operation, but boosting it is still lean. I had to pull the pump in and out twice... so I'm wondering how much I messed that seal up. I'm only seeing about 30 psi of fuel pressure, I forgot to check the pressure before I did this whole operation, so I don't know what I had before :( but I believe it was supposed to be about 40. So I'm going to pull things again, pull that seal out and see if it is ok. If it isn't I'm going to use some high quality urethane adhesive to fix it if the dealer doesn't have one of those parts around. Hopefully that will solve the issue, otherwise if everything looks fine I'll be retuning the car at 30 psi fuel pressure...

never figured mine out... I tuned it to be about right... and not long after my engine blew on the race track (unrelated to the fuel pressure...was rich at the time)... so dunno! But never figured it out.. I'll play with it when I do my new engine in the spring.

I dont know if this was mentioned in this thread or not but this makes it even a little easier.

My walbro had 4 plastic tabs on it at the bottom, I just heated up a razor blade and cut them off, then I cut into the plastic piece as shown in the attached file. This way you do not have to cut the edges of the plastic piece that holds the pump in place, no wire ties, less chance of it falling off. The rubber support that was there had to be removed though, but its holding perfectly this way. Now you can go back to stock if you want :D

Attachments

• Protege 034revised.JPG
    Protege 034revised.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 495
This how-to is a bit old, but just wanted to add a little tip before doing a fuel pump swap. These things make it a little easier:

Less than 1/4 of a tank of gas before removing the pump
Unplug the power lines to the pump, then crank the engine to get the fuel out of the system. It may start, but it will die very quickly.

This will help decrease spillage of fuel inside the car.

what fuel pumps can actually be used for this? i got one from mam and its the gss340 and it doesnt look anything like the right one... anyone know the deal?

1FASTMSP said:
right, this is the one to use, the GSS 342, the other one is backwards from what we need, it won't allow the screen to sit the way it needs to in the tank.

(poke) :)

Back