How To: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

well it was the pump and miata upgrade or something...thats what it said on the invoice.....

if youve got a turboed p5, protege, mp3, our stock pumps cant supply enough gas for high bo0st applications...this allows more fuel to get to the engine...(from what i understand)

higher flowing fuel pumps, more gas, less blown engines

Just as a side note to this great "How-to", I've just put one in my car. It wasn't the miata one, was the rx7 model P/N GSS341 not P/N GSS342.
2nd Gen specifics:-
I didn't need to cut up any pieces to get these things to fit - our pumps are mounted on a metal rail in a kinda bent L shape where the pump sits on the bottom piece of the L. If you simply bend the piece that the pump sits on you can position the pump outlet back in line with the pipe with the only drawback being that you push the electrical connector slightly further into the tank. This allows you to use all the bits that come with the kit without modification...........I hope, my car is still running anyways ;)

ps, nice hum too :D

Last edited:
so which one is it for the MSP, GSS341 or GSS342? i want to make sure before i tear into my car...

also, is there any fear of the zip tie disentegrating from the fuel? that would be a very bad mishap...

1FASTMSP said:
but you don't have an MSP, i am wondering if there is any difference?
There is no difference. If Mazda's developers had changed our fuel system in our MSPs, we wouldn't have some of the issues that we do.

i just went to install my pump and the GSS 341 will NOT work. The ends are on opposite sides of the pump, not the same side like the GSS 342, <-----this is the pump you need to use, at least for the MSP. the issue is the way that the screen attaches to the pump, it can only attach one way because of the way that it sits in the pump. someone please make a note of this at the top of this thread before someone else makes this mistake...(hand)

1FASTMSP said:
i just went to install my pump and the GSS 341 will NOT work. The ends are on opposite sides of the pump, not the same side like the GSS 342, <-----this is the pump you need to use, at least for the MSP. the issue is the way that the screen attaches to the pump, it can only attach one way because of the way that it sits in the pump. someone please make a note of this at the top of this thread before someone else makes this mistake...(hand)
Errrr... I installed the Miata pump mentioned in the first post today on another MSP. It went in fine.

1FASTMSP said:
My other reply mentioning that there is no difference was in response to your "but you dont have a MSP" statement, not an answer to your original question. :)

Back