How To: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

First I've heard of that! You may be more concerned about oil starvation if you don't at least have an AWR oil pan.

Put my pump in today. Works like a charm. No issues other than the sliced thumb on the edge of the floor opening when I was pulling a fuel line connector.

This is a great write-up. The only thing I would add are wider shots, and more angles of the fuel pump assembly.

I installed my GSS342 this morning, and this writeup was immensely helpful! One part I was a little unsure of though... When I removed the stock pump from the housing, I could've sworn that the white plastic "bushing" on the pump outlet was snapped into place in the pump housing. But when I was installing the walbro into the housing, I couldn't for the life of me get it to snap into anything. So I just placed it on the new pump outlet in the original orientation and placed the pump back into the housing.

In this pic (scavenged from another thread), it's the part immediately below the circled rubber seal that I'm talking about.
attachment.php

Everything went back together just fine otherwise, and the pump works perfectly... does anyone want to reassure me that I did it right, or tell me to go pull the pump and try again? hehe

Thats normal apparently i did 2 pumps and neither one would allow the retainer clip to stay but the pump cant move anywhere for it to leak so...good to go!

Just did this tonight and on the way home I had the same hesitation problem whichever guy described years ago. I stirred up quite a bit of crap in the tank during the install, and am wondering if the hesitation was from dirty fuel possibly? I'll drive it again tomorrow after everything settles, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Also, have a new method for getting the GSS342 to fit properly without hacking up the securing clip. Will post that tomorrow as well.

Just did this tonight and on the way home I had the same hesitation problem whichever guy described years ago. I stirred up quite a bit of crap in the tank during the install, and am wondering if the hesitation was from dirty fuel possibly? I'll drive it again tomorrow after everything settles, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Also, have a new method for getting the GSS342 to fit properly without hacking up the securing clip. Will post that tomorrow as well.

some ppl say that de GSS340 is the one that fit without do any mod...

ok, so I just installed the deatschwerks fuel pump into my car...and now it will start and idle, but when I blip the throttle it bogs and sounds like its mis-firing.
Any Ideas? Im going to check the wiring and make sure theres no corrosion, but theres nothing else I can think of

ok, so I just installed the deatschwerks fuel pump into my car...and now it will start and idle, but when I blip the throttle it bogs and sounds like its mis-firing.
Any Ideas? Im going to check the wiring and make sure theres no corrosion, but theres nothing else I can think of

got it figured out, turned out to be a ripped O ring, its the one circled in the diagram at the top of the page..

Problem: I didn't like the walbro so I decided to put the stock pump back in. The white plastic piece I had to cut and zip-tie to make the walbro fit is pretty much useless when it comes to the stock pump because you can't zip-tie it the same way, and the gap between the two pieces is so wide that the stock fuel pump could just fall straight through it. Suggestions? (other than buying a whole assembly)

edit: Nevermind, found a 02 protege at the junkyard and got all the stuff i needed including an extra pump :)

Last edited:
crazy late to this post, but this may come in handy for the 01 protege, if i need to do it

Back