Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

Turbo P5

HOW-TO: Install In-Tank Fuel Pump

The fuel pump you need is a 94-97 Miata Walbro 255 LPH HP. P/N GSS342

One of these is the stock Miata pump, and the other is the stock Protege pump.

Step One: Remove Gas Cap. Flip drivers side rear seat forward.

Step Two: Lift flap and remove 4 cover screws.

Step Three: Unplug the two plugs.

Step Four: You will need to remove this plug that I am holding from its holder that I am pointing to.

Step Five: Now remove the Fuel Lines. This is tricky. Just use a small flat tip screw driver to lift each side of the green clip over the lip on the line.
    Last edited by GOTZOOM?; 07-15-2003 at 09:13 PM.
    (p5silver)2002.5 P5- Installed: Spool Spec'd T3/T4 (*50 turbine *60 compressor *.63 AR *Stage 3 wheel) Spool Tubular Manifold v. 2.0 Spool Stage 3 Intercooler w/ SS pipes Custom 3" Cold Air Intake Rolling Hardware Street: 17” Konig Tantrums Nitto NeoGen 215/45 Ground Control Coilovers Rolling Hardware Drag: 15” Konig Traffik BF Goodrich G-Force Drag Radial 225/50/15 Transmission: Driveshaft Shop Racing Axles (prototypes) Clutchmaster Stage 2R Clutch Fidanza 7.5 lb Flywheel Kartboy short shifter, bushings and knob combo Exhaust: Greddy EVO Turbo-Back Electronics: Nordskog Digital Gauges: Boost, Fuel pressure, and Air/Fuel Meter installed in a 3 gauge full pillar gauge pod Greddy Profec B-spec II boost controller Greddy Turbo Timer UEGO Wideband kit with display Walbro 255 LPH In-Tank fuel pump Optima Red Top battery w/ Jeg battery relocation kit Future mods: Spool Stage 4 ECU (AKA: The Microtech)(On Order)

Turbo P5

Step Six: Now remove the 8 screws that hold the unit on the fuel tank. IMPORTANT: Make sure you use a very good #2 screw driver on these screws. They are very tight and soft, and if you are not careful, you will strip them Pull the unit up and out, but not all the way, make sure the screen drains before tracking it across your interior.

Step Seven: Unplug the fuel pump! If you dont, you will rip the wires out of the plug. Trust me, it will happen. Now that it is unplugged, remove the white clip and pull the fuel pump out. It will be a little tight getting it out, just pull on it.

Step Eight: Either transfer the the screen to the new pump, or if you bought a new one, put it on the new pump. Do not use the one that comes with the walbro. It mounts in the wrong direction and will not pick up fuel. Remove the rubber sleeve off the old pump if it came out of the hole, and the white spacer and put them on the new pump. If the rubber sleeve isn't on the old pump, make sure it is still up in the fuel line. You dont have to take it out, as long as it is up in there your fine. Its what seal the nipple on the fuel pump going up into the fuel line.

Step Nine: Put the new pump back into the holder and plug it in.

Step Ten: Cut the bottom off of the white clip holder so that you have two clips for each side. I used a Dremel with a cutting disk.
    In the picture is the peice you are cutting off.

Step Eleven: Put the two clips on and weave a zip tie thru them and around the fuel pump as in the picture. You may have to study these pictures to get it right. If its not done this way, the pump may come loose and fall into the tank while driving, and that wouldn't be good at all. Make sure to take a pair of pliers to pull the zip tie as tight as possible.

Step Twelve: Make sure Fuel Pump is plugged in and reinstall everything. Happy Motoring.
    Last edited by GOTZOOM?; 07-15-2003 at 09:15 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Turbo P5

Sorry guys, the site that host my pics turned them off for the rest of the day because I went over my bandwidth for the day. Bad Boy...BAD BOY! Check back again later and the pics should work.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $150

Good Job, just for info I will move this to the HOW too section in a few days

Donated: $20

Turbo MP3 #222, 00 Silverado Z71

good write up, this may come in handy.
    (bluemp3)
    Performance Mods:Custom MSP turbo kit w/ ported manifold and downpipe, MPI piggyback,Tochigi Fugi LSD,Fidanza flywheel,ACT street clutch, SS clutch line, SS brake lines,awr motor mounts,JoeP MBC,2 1/2"exhaust with wagner mid pipe, MagnaFlow resonator, JIC canister, Random Technology cat,Greddy type S BOV,Rotora front rotors (slotted)brembo rear rotors,Hawk HPS pads,Spool springs,Kartboy Shifter/Bushing/Knob/exhaust hangers,1st grounding kit (blue)Sparkco wires(blue), mini oil catch can

Electronics/Appearance Mods: UEGO widebando2 ,Greddy warning boost gauge, EGT, and oil pressure gauges, MSD knock senor w/ display, Blitz TT, Clear side marker,DaveB rings,DGM auto exe replica grill, Alpine 5 channel amp, blue coolant catch can

Waiting to install: J&S safeguard, exhaust cutout

Just out of curiosity, what are the differences in output between the two?
    - Eddie
    ================
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    2003 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Subaru WRX

duMb TeaM

how can you tell if theres a difference, do you need a fuel pressure gauge?
    duMb Ke0La

That'd do it just fine.

02 1500 4x4, mp3

damn....what happened to the pics?.....
    Adam i will never forget you buddy...

Turbo P5

Stupid villiage photo cancelled my account because I was directly linking to download videos. Who do you guys suggest for picture hosting?

myother car is an auto :( azeli73's Avatar
    Donated: $15

•2002 Protege 5 Turbo•

something simple like yahoo should do it. or upload them here

02 1500 4x4, mp3

yeah yahoo....cause i took mine apart but i dont know how to put new one in.....or just upload to the forum...
    Last edited by dominoy2k1; 07-15-2003 at 05:32 PM.

Turbo P5

I've tried to upload them here, doesnt seem to work, unless I am doing something wrong. Maybe I will try Yahoo.

[
    Last edited by GOTZOOM?; 07-15-2003 at 08:43 PM.

02 1500 4x4, mp3

hey ummm try yahoo and just name them 1,2,3,4......etc...you can put em in the briefcase...

02 1500 4x4, mp3

ummm...not to rush you or anything...but have you uploaded them yet....

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast