Spare tire subwoofer

STYLNP5

After lurking for a awhile I thought I'd post a question. I have an '03 P5 with roofrack, minus sub in spare tire well. I have searched this and another fourm for a definitive answer to this question but with no luck. Do the '03 (not 3.5) P5's come pre-wired for the factory subwoofer or not. I have looked where it was described to be but I found nothing. I'm not sure if I was looking in the wrong place or the right place and I don't have it. If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
Rich
'03 Midnite Blue 5-spd P5

Hi STYLNP5, I wish I could give you a definitive answer...but I can't....however.....regardless of that fact, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to our Club. There are TWO BIG fridge'S in the corner with anything you can think of in them...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. (stash)

make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!! (stash)

To my knowledge the 2003 did not have a pre wired sub and I thought only the P5s with the sub option were wired at all for it.
I really need to trcika dealer into lending me a P5 for a day and just tear it apart :D

Thanks, Sir Nuke, mighty glad to be here!

1st MP3 in NH: That's what I was fearing. That Mazda didn't start to wire in the spare tire subs until they decided to drop the roof rack as standard and add the sub. Too bad. It would have made the installation of a dedicated sub amp and new subwoofer just a tad bit easier.

Rich
Dark windows and a mellow exhaust note for now...

If your car did not come with it then you dont have it. I is called a mid year refresh partway through the model year the manufactur adds something. When your car was put together mazda did not even offer the amp/subwoofer, so the wiring dose not exist.
That shouldnt stop you from adding it....

Hey all..newbie here :)

I have been searching for the answer to the above question for a few days. I decided to get an earlier model PR5 (which, I may add, was purchased only 4 days ago :) ) because I couldnt find one with the options I wanted AND the sub. I'm starting to regret that decision....

On the 3.5 models with the sub, is there no spare tire? Or is the compartment deeper to accomodate the spare and the sub? What size sub will fit in the compartment? I really WANT to put a sub (or 2) in the car, but I dont want to see it or stick a big ol' box in my trunk (I'm a very active person and having a box will be a problem when Im hauling around a bike or two or camping or something)
Thanks for the help in advance guys and I look forward to being a part of the community :)

(hi) pr5pixie
Welcome to the protege foroums and my little corner of them the audio section.

The stock sub in question is a 5.25" pioneer sub in a bandpass box of sorts that is in my opion no better thena computer speaker from bast buy that costs $25.

The 2003.5 has the same spare tire and just a dinky little plastic sub box screwed down on top of it.

pr5pixie said:
Do you have any suggestions as to a place to "hide" a sub then? One that doesnt sound like crizap?
Thanks

Hidden isn't going to happen without some decnet amount of custom work like a fiberglass sub box in the well for 2 10" subs and a raised floor.
YOu can blend it in but not hide it.

Rumor had it that the 2003 models do in fact have the wiring harness, which can be used to hook up the spare tire sub box.

BUT, I was unaware the 2003.5's came with the plastic shroud to raise up the bottom.

As for the pioneer sub, it can be bought with the canister online for about $40-50. I am not aware of anyone who has tried it.

Midnightracer22 said:
does the factory radio have sub outputs?

To any technical definition of "sub output", NO!
However as many small sub amps have speaker level inputs, the factory radio can be hooked up to a sub amp without RCAs.

milmoejoe said:
Rumor had it that the 2003 models do in fact have the wiring harness, which can be used to hook up the spare tire sub box.

I have a 2003.0 P5 owner and I am a little upset that I don't have the sub either.

I snuck into the dealers lot last week to see for myself exactly where and what the wiring looked like on a sub equipped 2003.5 P5. My 2003.0 definately does not have any wiring harness plug in the inside by the wheel well. The wiring harness for the sub is twisted and taped together with the door pin switch wiring.

I would of been happy just to have the wiring there so when I do decide to add something it will be neat an easy. I hate messy wiring!

Back