Brake noises, need help.

Glhboy

I have an 02 P5 and here lately, who knows it could have been going on for longer, I hear a rubbing type brake noise when I'm driving slowly. The car only has 13,000 miles on it. The noise stops when I hit the brakes. It's easily heard when driving along side a wall or something. It's not bad and it's not a squeal it's just like something rubbing, almost like how the rotors sound when there was moisture on them in the morning, except this doesn't go away.

It's very annoying. Any ideas? Also, what's the warranty on brakes?

I'm under the impression that there is no warranty on the brake pads because they're classified as "wear & tear" items. So unless the noise can be traced to a problem outside of the pads, then your warranty does not cover this.

KYREDP5 said:
Check the brake pad clearence?

I looked at what I could see, but not sure what I'd be looking for. The pads looked like they were almost touching the rotors, but there was a lot of pad left.

spazspike said:
I'm under the impression that there is no warranty on the brake pads because they're classified as "wear & tear" items. So unless the noise can be traced to a problem outside of the pads, then your warranty does not cover this.

Clutch, brake pads, and rotors are only covered 12k.

Have you jacked the car up and rotated the wheel to see if it may be warped?

I haven't jacked the car up as I have no way to do that here. I did take it to Mazda last week because I felt a slight vibration when braking but they said it wasn't anything big so they didn't do anything about it. I would've thought they would have noticed this, but the service advisor did say that they could turn the rotors up to 24,000 miles under warranty. So he said to keep driving it and if it got worse bring it back.

Glhboy;

follow the thread titled : "scraping noise from rear" started by "hashbrown"
sounds like you might be having the same problem as everyone else.

Back