Exhaust Camshaft

Matthew

Contributor
:
CX9, CX5, i8
Ok, I have money to get either the exhaust or the intake camshaft right now, and i read by doing a search if i had to choose one id be better off with the exhaust. So now i have a few questions:

Do i need to buy anything else besides the exhaust camshaft (ie - seals, etc)

How hard is it to install yourself (i have a shop manual)? Is there any How-Tos somewhere out therE?

Where can I find the exhaust camshaft??? (corksport is out, and protege5online doesnt have it either, they just have the intake listed)

Would it damage my engine to install these?

I guess if i cant find someone that has the exhaust i can always get the intake one for now and buy the exhaust when corksport comes out with them.

It won't really hurt to install just the exhaust cam. It's better of course to install them as a pair, no sense in doing the same job twice or paying the labor on it twice. check with AWR or mazdamotorsports. from what corksport lists on their site you may not get one, they say mazda is no longer producing them so....

i just talked to corksport on the phone, he said it would be better to install the intake camshaft first...but i dont know if thats because thats all they have lol

you won't find a exhaust cam unless you get a used one, they stoped making them corksport is going to be making their own exhaust cam with the same grinds. If you did a search on the cam's you would know that even in a pair the gains are very minimal because they are still very mild cams.

The best way is to test them on the dyno, or, use an engine simulator, configure your engine as stock, then change the cams parameters.
The only problem is to find all the specs on this engine, like valve clearance, diameter, lift, BTC, bore n stroke, piston ratio, gasket thickness, bla bla bla...
I think you could use a template from another engine with similar settings, then change parameters.

i did do a search you notice none of my questions was how much horsepower i would get?

RazorP5 said:
i did do a search you notice none of my questions was how much horsepower i would get?

chill man, i was just telling you what i know, I wasnt trying to be an ass.

:D
sorry man, i misinterpretted your words as being one of those "search before you ask" responses...i appreciate the info

The Intake cam would be better & ProFiz is right, the Exhaust cam is no longer available. It was a Mazdaspeed part that was stock in the Japenese MP3. The MP3 was a limited edition model so the cam was a limited edition piece. That on top of the fact that there isnt any Mazdaspeed stuff getting imported into the states anymore makes it hard to find. As to the increases, the numbers show the intake cam getting 12HP (havent seen any actual Dyno sheets but this is what has been said) & the Exhaust cam getting very little if any. So, the exhaust cam wasnt a big increase anyhow. As to the intake cams, I think I sell them for less than corksport (165.00 shipped in the states) I deal directly with Mazdamotorsports and offer everything they carry at a discount.

I've heard the cams make a big difference under boost. . .heard they added 17 hp.

But yes, can't find the exhaust, so I decided not to do them. Could be convinced otherwise I suppose.

just double up on the intake cams if you want to. the intake will fit on the exhaust side and vise versa.

imo get cams ground to your own spec

Mazdamotorsports offers Blank billet cams so you can grind your own. Seems like they where in the 70.00 range. And yes, both exhaust & intake are the same cam, just ground differently.

Back