Cruise Control on the MP3

APEXistud

:
1990 Mazda Miata
I'm curious, did anyone out there have cruise control instaled on their MP3 and how much did it cost you? I every once and a while have to take road trips to sactown or drive down to southern CA and the lack of cruise control is a B I T C H. I'm debating having it installed, but I have no clue how much it would cost. I have a bad feeling that the dealership would try to do me with no vaseline for labor price of installation.

I would think you could get the componets then just have another member with an already equipt car help so you could compare the 2.

I remember a ways back, like almost 2 yrs now, a bunch of people wanted to do this, but for one reason or another, the mp3 couldn't take them...I wish it would, as I'd throw it on in a second for the same reasons as you Apexi...
I'd only do it if it could be the stock protege one also.

Well I know for sure that the cruise control computer is under the passenger side kick panel. So if you have a wiring harness there and no box, then you are prewired and most of the parts will be a drop in installation. If it's not prewired, it might be difficult to add after the fact.

I asked my dealer and they recommended an aftermarket system. I went to a good place and they said $300. For some reason or another it doesn't fit on the MP3. Plus I think the sway bar is in the way of where something goes. Thats why there are 2 different sway bars for w and w/o cruise.

Let us know what you find.

Tim

cruise control

the dealer i bought my mp3 from had it installed for me at an aftermarket shop before i took delivery. i want to say they charged the dealership around $275. it works fine.

TheMAN said:
there was a thread a month ago about this

do a search for it

Yeah, yeah, I know I should have done a search. But I honestly don't recall ever reading a post about Cruise Control and that's why I didn't do a search. $275 isn't too bad, I agree that cruise control is for chumps, so I guess I am a chump. :p After 5 hours of driving down to southern cali for IAS back in April, my right heel was hurting like a mofo. So, I figured CC would be worth looking into.

That's why I bought my LX and did the MP3 conversion. Moonroof and cruise control. J/K---When the MP3 first came out the dealership that I work at got two of them right away. When the salesman said that they weren't available with cruise or a moonroof, I was like ":wtf: "! I think we ended up having an aftermarket cruise control put on. They SUCK. The worst part is that a lot of companies change designs so that when something goes wrong with it you have to change a bunch of s*** over to accomodate the new design. It would be better than nothing though.

Last edited:
Yeah I went to the local Mazda dealer and priced one. He said it would be $250 installed. Not too bad but I would rather put that $250 into something else.

I just bought my MP3 used, and it came with the cruise control already installed. I would not personally have put it there since the stalk is a little bit in the way, and I rarely have occasion to use it.
Not sure how much the guy before me paid, but it certainly can be done.

PM

I installed an aftermarket kit on a 1976 Celica GT a few years ago. It was very easy and had a vacuum T and a couple cables to connect. The controller looked like the turn single switch and it could be mounted with a couple screws anyplace you wanted to put it.
I bought the kit from JC Whitney, could not imagine why you would have to go down around the bottom end of the compartment. Everything should connect around the top half.
It is just that most dealers are plain to laisy and some are just plain rediculous.
JC Whitney PN 78UY7574UF $179 and you can do it yourself.

Back