So CAN I use touch up paint to paint my eyelids?

ghetto waggon

:
2003 Protege5, Yellow.
Mintblue eyelids. I want a cheap way out of having to get them painted.

The autobody place wants $75 to get them painted. I don't want to do this as, 1. thats almost the cost of the eyelids, and 2. plan to get a new spoiler which I would need to get painted as well.

Can I just use this little bottle of touch up paint that came in the mail?

Edit: I'm a f'n retard, misunderstood you.

I'd just get some primer, duplicolor, and some clearcoat. That'd be the best thing to do.

Last edited:
Duplicolor is what?

I've had a horrendous time finding paint that will match the car, and the touch up paint seems to blend pretty nicely.

Sorry I don't know anything about painting, and didnt realize that primer was something I could do myself. A friend told me the body shop would end up sandblasting it, or something of the sort.

I believe Duplicolor is a paint made by DuPont I think, should match up pretty good, just check some places online, or Autozone, Advanced Auto, or something like that.

and primer is the same across the board? Something i'd find at home depot, etc..? or would autozone have it ?

yes autozone would have it.

If you would use the little brush you would have mrks from teh brush. just wait till your spoiler is going to be painted and then get your eyelids painted. they quotes you that much caue they have to get the paint. eventhough they going to use just a bit of it.

that month of having them sitting in my room would kill me

*edit*
Could I try and paint them myself now, and if for some reason it doesnt work out have the eyelids and spoiler painted together?
Would they just sand the eyelids if I were to get them repainted?

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using a sheet of color'd vinyl. I was thinking of getting a reflective chrome vinyl sheets and do my best to cover what ever I need to cover. I think it would look good if done right with the right color...hum just got me started on thinking of doing this again.

i'm in the process of color matching vinyl to my silver pr5 for decals and eyelids. i'll let you know once i get the materials.

matt

i bought $20 worth of vinyl from a rice store and took it to the mazda dealership to see how they matched. Everything but midnight blue and yellow matched pretty well.

The thing with the vinyl is that you get a nasty look with the headlights on.

...SO, I went ahead and forked out the $100

k, you want it to match exactly right? duplicolor is good but not exact

open your driver door. on it is a white sticker. it will tell you the exact color code for your ride. my silver p5 is 22V.

go look online and they sell SPRAY touch up paint which will apply much smoother and look better than brush on stuff. With clear cost it'll cost you about $30.

good luck!

i have been trying to find a place online that sells the SPRAY touch up paint... anyone know where to get this?

the touch up paint won't be smooth. call around to some body shops and ask them if they can fill your PPG code paint into an aerosol can. it'll come out much nicer. i got my can and a can of primer for around 25 bucks.

get the spoiler painted professionally.

mx3ownzj00 said:
the touch up paint won't be smooth. call around to some body shops and ask them if they can fill your PPG code paint into an aerosol can. it'll come out much nicer. i got my can and a can of primer for around 25 bucks.

get the spoiler painted professionally.

wait a sec! are you trying to say that the SPRAY touch up paint will not come out smooth? i thought that WAS in an aerosol can... (hmm)

Still. Just paint it all at the same time. It's going to cost you pennies to paint those eyelids if the spoiler is getting painted.

I realize the bulk of their charge comes from starting a job, not how much paint gets shot out of the gun.

The eyelids are "in the mail" and the spoiler order is 4-6 weeks in the works...which prolly means 3 months before it's here.

If I paint them and screw up the eyelids (paint-wise), would it be hard for the body shop to do a new finish?

You can use touchup paint to paint them. Primer, touch up paint then a clearcoat. 2 coats of each will do. That's what I did for my brake calipers and it's been holding up great over the winter.

Damn, talk about reviving something from the dead...I hope he got these done by now:p

Back