2003.5 roof rack clips?

jophus14

:
Laser Blue P5
i got a 2003 p5 and i want the roof rack off completely. i went to the dealer and they said that i couldn't unless i bondo the holes left from the bolts....i was lookin at the 2003.5's roof rack and saw the little plastic pieces with the grips and arrow. so i decided to play ninja and go back that night and try to take it off and see what it was. i damn near broke my finger nail tryin to pry it off. question is....how can i get them off and will they cover the holes left by the bolt from the roof rack? thanks......

Do a search on the forums the part number for those clips is floating around herre somewhere.

didn't you get plastic covers from your dealer???
there are 4 pieces of plastic cover that will cover cover the holes left by the bolt from the roof rack

I know what you're talking about, and I know what holes your dealer is talking about. It wil leave about 4 holes on both sides of you car. I didn't use bondo to fill my however. On the inside of the car, I covered the hole with black electrical tape. Then I used the rubber silcon stuff that squeezes out of the bottle to fill the hole, and then ran electrical tape over top that on the outside of the car. No leaks so far and it's been over a year. Hope this gives ya some ideas if you can't find the clips

Bijou-MP5 said:
didn't you get plastic covers from your dealer???
there are 4 pieces of plastic cover that will cover cover the holes left by the bolt from the roof rack

i think he wants to completely remove the racks

exactly, i want to remove the whole thing. it'll look like a 2003.5 model. someone with a 2003.5 model should know exactly what pieces i'm talkin about. they are on the black strips on the roof of the vehicle, it's about 1" X 3" and has little finger grips and an arrow pointing toward the front of the car.
Onatrum: the electrical tape would probably work out good, i'm sketchy on that idea. thanks though.

privateer

first thing i want to tell you is use the search for roof rack rail removal some great how to do it.but make sure you are mechanically inclined and always be prepared for the worse, it was fairly easy to do but take your time as clips could break as i stated before the four buttons one under the light and three at the rear of the head liner are a one time use only the strips will pop on the post in the front, on my 2002 it did not have a rear post which i think is common so i used goop to fasten the rear down you will understand when you get the parts dont do anything until you have all the parts.here are the numbers you are looking for BJ3D-50-9H0D and BJ3D-50-9LOE this is the filler strip pieces.the one i got had little slid covers that were originally for the canadian racks which are not usa specs there may be a part number for usa cars which may not have the little covers, they are about $70.00 a piece very pricey plastic good luck.

Report this post to a moderator

something like this?

Attachments

• mvc-351f.jpg
    mvc-351f.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 377
also do your homework and never assume the reponses you get are from people that are mechanically inclined as i stated above know your limitations there is basically no difference between 2002 and 20003 unless it is a canadian model which i explained in another post if you are not prepared fot the worse case scenarios such as bending your roof liner than my advice is dont touch it or take it to a pro,i read alot of post from others who did it before me saw there pictures visualized it and went for it good luck.

I'm in agreement with privateer. For along time nobody knew if holes were there, if it was possible, or what the part #'s were to fill the gaps. I took on the challenge and posted lots of detailed pics which answered alot of questions. It's not real hard, but you have to be able to enjoy hearing your car pulled apart on the inside lol

those clips in the jpeg cost 70 bucks each? regardless i just want to take them from the dealership. i ain't payin' nothin more then 3 bucks each..................hahaha..........

ahhhh....my bad...

The $70 for the part #'s he provided are for the strips that fill the gap in the top of the car from front to back.

The picture I provided are my interpretation of what you said:

"they are on the black strips on the roof of the vehicle, it's about 1" X 3" and has little finger grips and an arrow pointing toward the front of the car."

I was simply asking if the picture I attached is what you're talking about?

onotrum it was your posts that help me do mine. thank you very much,i hope the guys post about taking them of another car is a joke but if it was not morons like that shouldnt waste our time looking for advice cause they probably couldnt do an oil change,or even begin to understand the steps of your hard work and great advice.

onatrum it was your posts that help me do mine. thank you very much,i hope the guys post about taking them of another car is a joke but if it was not morons like that shouldnt waste our time looking for advice cause they probably couldnt do an oil change,or even begin to understand the steps of your hard work and great advice.

whoa..........privateer: calm down. i was asking how much those pieces are. i must have read it wrong and thought onotrum was sayin they were $70 each. Onatrum: those are the pieces in the jpeg. i do appreciate everyones help. i try to provide as much help as poosible myself. i've been registered for about 7 weeks and i have about 65 posts, so i feel i do my share. thanks again.

Rack Removal How-To

Follow the link above for step by step instructions for removing the rack. As for the filler pieces... Go to the dealership, grab the guy at the parts counter by the nose, take him out on the lot to an 03.5 P5 and point to the plastic caps and tell him that is what you want. They have a parts computer that lets them pick an area of the car and zoom in on it, it has a break down of all of the part/fasteners used and the part numbers.

protege 2003.5roof rack

I'm looking for a roof rack for my 2003 protege apparantly I bought one for a 2003 but, mine is a 2003.5 and it doesn't fit. I need a roof rack for mine anyone have or know where to get one??

the o3 and 03.5 have no differences as far as the RR is concerned other than the 03.5 doesnt come with one...Post what you bought...

Back