Sub Choice

ok so here is the deal. i'm looking for some subs that are good for spl and sql but dont weigh a s*** load. i havent really done any looking around yet because i have no idea where to start. i do not plan on competing in any competitions or anything. this is just for personal listening enjoyment. i was going to go with 2 12w6v2's but they are kind of heavy and i dont want to weigh down my car that much if possible. any help is appreciated. thanks jeremy

p.s. oh and price isnt an issue. i will pay whatever it takes to get something i will be happy with.

i'm not sure the weight on a W6v2, but the K-series 12 from elemental designs ships at 19 lbs. the W6 has 16.5 mm of xmax, while the K-series has 16.3 mm. they both have similar power handling, and both will work in relatively small boxes. the W6 is dual 4 ohm only, while the K-series is available in either dual or single 4 ohm. of course now we come to price. the K-series is only $120. good luck finding a W6v2 for under $300. course if you don't mind a little more weight, you could get the O-series or A-series from ED:D the O-series will outperform a W6v2 and is only $175 and weighs in at 26 lbs. course if money is not a problem, get the A-series. for $275 you can have a sub that drops to 14 hz, has 26 mm of xmax, handles a ton of power, but weighs in at 35 lbs. but you'd only need one of them to have a serious system;) the A-series 12 has almost the same xmax as a brahma, which i can say definitely gives you a beating:D i'm doing a 147.2 dB with a brahma 10, and at normal listening volumes i've got even response from 45-60 hz in a box designed for SPL:D

what about the brahma? is that the one with the 4" thick magnet u posted on the other board a while ago? if so i know that would be too heavy. i like that the a-series only needs 1 cf of air so that might help with the weight since the box would be pretty small. that definately looks like a possibility. the only thing wrong with it is that it is UGLY and i was wanting to do a fg install with 2 12s so that kinda deteres (sp?) me. thnx for the info, jeremy

p.s. also do you know what the a-series will do top end. low is nice but high breath taking bass is more fun most of the time.

if you are concerned with weight, don't even consider the brahma. mine weighs in at 39 lbs for a 10:D then the box adds another 100-120 lbs;) the A-series 12 only has freq response up to 200 hz. while some subs claim 1khz, i would never try to get a 12 to perform over 100 hz. and how it performs has more to do with the enclosure and amp power. i think the ed subs are nice looking, nice and rugged:D from the nomex cone to the woven tinsel leads into the spider to the huge magnet, it just looks beastly;) pretty no, beastly yes:D

Get the JL 12W6ae. Only about 13 Ibs for the most SQ winning sub in history. You only need a 1 cubic foot box and only about $200 retail.

If you're looking to save weight, look for subs that are designed for small boxes.

For example: An average weighing 10" in a .65cuft box will still weigh less than a lightweight 12" in a 1.25cuft box after it is installed in a car.

Image Dynamics IDQs are very light and are designed to be put in very small boxes if you are looking for SPL. They are also one of the top SQ subs on the market.

Back