AUTO or STICK?? what transmission did you choose??

don't even think about the handicap transmission and buy a stick!

Originally posted by Charles Smith:
.... ever drive a Buick National? All autos and for a reason. Brake boost launches are great! :D
later,
Charles Smith[/QB]

I hear that! I actually owned a T-Type, but if you had a Grand National you know what I am talking about. :) Anyways, Brake torqued launches in that thing scared the piss out of me. To have both rear tires break sideways, and pull the front end off the ground was pretty fun though. I had a little different setup from stock though. :) As an indication, my Boost would peak at a measly 26 PSI.. Anyways, what's all the talk about the P5 being fast, this car wasn't designed for much of anything in the straight-away, and if you bought one for that, you missed the whole appeal of the car!

I've read a lot of posts on this topic and one thing is always the same. The people who say an automatic is alright always are polite and give simple good reasons why they like it. None says "buy an auto, stick SUXXX"
Many people who like 5 speeds mention automatic trannies like they are the biggest pieces of s*** on the planet(not everyone). "autos are so boring", "don't even think about the handicap transmission...", "If you get the auto, i will find you and kick you in the head!". Hmmm, really great arguements.

I have an automatic. I like 5 speeds, they are great. I like my automatic, it is great. Moreso, I have a tonne of respect for the automatic transmission because it is an incredible invention(goto howstuffworks.com and read about it). I have never been with someone who could shift a 5 speed as smoothly as an auto, and I've seen many ppl drive stick. Who is faster than a computer shifting? Anyway...

Clearly the pro's and cons of both sides have been stated. But we all like our cars, thats why we are here. And when some guy says autos are garbage, they may as well be telling me my car is garbage. How do I not let that bother me even a little bit? When someone simply writes "autos suck" it reminds me of ignorant muscle car ppl who say all 4 bangers suck, or silly rice boys who say American cars suck. Any we all know what we think of people like that.

I dunno, something to think about I guess.

I kinda agree with Shawn, but i guess ppl who prefer MT are those who like control and feedback (and maybe more aggressive, hence those comments) and ppl like me either mellow, lazy, or unfocused, drive AT. no matter for me, i was driving a SIDEKICK, almost any sedan will feel like a sports car to me. ;)

Shawn, I totally agree with you. Like I stated before, I have an Auto Civic EX, the car is really quick for being an auto 4 cylinder. It really suprised me when I really "drove" it on a trip up to Boston~~From stop to 80mph on those on ramps with no problem.(this is during the great dig mind you, when traffic was all rerouted, and very congested.) But the auto in the protege didn't impress me(I was looking at the autos too) Hondas autos seem to draw less hp from the motor.

HaHa! I really agree that Civic is a really suck performance car honda ever had.... specially.... who has a Si ( in Canada ) ...... the engine of Si ..... really can't take a lot of performance things in.... Guys don't try to brow up your SINGLE OVER HEAD CAM VTEC Engine...... ..... for our P5 at least the engine is same as the Foucs...... so it could take more performance things than a SI Civic.....:D I really hate people mod Civic........ hehe

For the first orignal question, stick or auto?

Personally, I would never go auto since I truly enjoy driving a manual-shifting sports car. As for anything else, SUV, big sedan, mini-van, or a truck, I would not mind going with automatic.

A few years back I was in Houston with my dad, we somehow hit a really bad rush hour traffic jam. Was stuck there for almost 3 hours and we ended up following cars exiting an ENTRANCE ramp. That day I realized how awful a manual-shift can be. So, if I had to do that every day or every other day, then I'd go with an automatic without hesitation. (obviously, I'd try to pick the best priced for the power, automatic sports sedan. One that didn't offer a standard transmission before this year in the U.S.... IS300 :D )

I'm sure peeps are going to knock me for this, but I believe an automatic transmission is a bit more safe to use while driving a daily commute car than a manual transmission. You have one less distraction.

You're young and I'm assuming a SAFE driver, so go for the stick. 100% more exciting driving a stick-shift than an auto-shift. Not sure about those semi-shifters since I think I'm a purist and there is no other way to enjoy a manual transmission. Either you're driving a manual transmission or not. Just a matter of how much interest you take in driving a car. Are you the type where all a vehicle does is take you from point A to point B? Or are you the type who wishes your room was big enough for your car to fit next to the bed? :D

markleung said:
HaHa! I really agree that Civic is a really suck performance car honda ever had.... specially.... who has a Si ( in Canada ) ...... the engine of Si ..... really can't take a lot of performance things in.... Guys don't try to brow up your SINGLE OVER HEAD CAM VTEC Engine...... ..... for our P5 at least the engine is same as the Foucs...... so it could take more performance things than a SI Civic.....:D I really hate people mod Civic........ hehe

Sorry to disappoint you but the P5 engine is not the same as the Focus engine. They are both 2Liters, but parts don't interchange.

BTW I prefer standard transmission. Reasons, more durable, easier and cheaper, harder launches, can push start the car if the battery dies, but the the most important reason...just love banging gears!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back