Where could i put my amp?

N

noon

I was just wondering some possible places to mount my amp in my p5. The amp that I have is not very big (6.5" x 2" x 10.4") and it is a class D amp so it does not produce as much heat. I was thinking about putting it under the driver seat. In my trunk I have a dual 10" bandpass box so i am not sure if i could put it there. Any suggestions would be a great help.

You could probably put it under either front seat, just be careful of the heater ducts that are there.....I've seen pictures of one guy who has them mounted under his rear seats.....not sure how safe that is considering how hot some amps get...but ya never know...

PPI 2125- 2.375"high, 10"wide, 17 inches long, under drivers seat, no problem.

Im the guy with the amps under his rear seat. i have 2 cooling fans(4"X4")for each amp and the seat s lifted up when there on so the heat escapes more freely. If you dont plan on having more them 1 or 2 people in the car you can place the amps under the rear driver side seat. 2 amps fit well. but you'll hafta hollow the seat out n put cooling fans in to keep them from heating up to much

U shouldnt have a problem putting them under the drivers seat because u said that the amp wasnt big. Whats wrong with mounting the amp on the back of the back seats?

For those who have installed amplifiers in their P5s, I have some questions:

1. How did you route the power cable (location thru firewall)?

2. What's the best/easiest way to conceal the wires?

3. Did you guys try to separate the RCA lines and power cable?

4. Where to tap the ground signal from the hatch?

Thanks!

Mr. Douggie,
This is my first post on the board, so i hope it helps:
Here is a breakdown of my system:

Alpine CDA7949 Headunit
JBL Power 80.4 Analog under passenger seat pushing
6.5 Infinity Kappas front, 6.5 Infinity Kappa Perfects rear,
The massive crossovers for these fit fine under same seat.
JBL Power 1200.1 Digital Amp in trunk on custom box pushing
3 10" JL 10W3-D6s.

I have 2Ga. Power and ground run from the battery through a 140A breaker.
I love this car, there is a large oval grommet under the steering column. It already has one large bundle of cables running through one half of it, however, there is plenty of room to cut a
hole for power beside it. I had to pull the grommet through the firewall into the car, then used and exacto knife to cut the add'tl hole.Granted it was a little difficult due to the location and depends on your flexibility :)
But of all the cars i have worked on or owned, was by far the one i felt most comfortable with when i finished.
If you cant find it, i will try to grab some digital pics of it, I just got through taking pics of the system but forgot those details.

I ran power through the grommet, then to the left of the car,
behind the fuse panel. You can gracefully (and calmly) pull the plastic runners off the car in both front and back, then slide the plastic column with the seatbelt running through it up. There is room for at least 2Ga to run here, simply replace the plastic panels over top of them. (I pulled up the existing cable bundles, ran the power, and snapped em back down so nothing would move.)
Through back seat is a little tough, hope you have skinny fingers.
it is easy enough, unless you run multiple cables, and may have to remove the large plastic piece to the left rear seat, clips are hidden and hard to reach. But do-able.

I chose my headunit because it only has RCA and optical out, so i went to length to separate the RCAs. For this Follow same procedure on right half of car, Trust me, there is room for a lot under those panels and carpet. I think i have 3 RCAs, and two sets of 12Ga wire running under the right.
Trust me, it is worth it to separate, engine noise is quite disgusting in comparison to some light jazz ;)

For the ground, there is an abundance in the trunk,
Remove the floorboard in the trunk, and lift the velcro felt part from the back of the seat. Use the bolts holding your rear seat
down and some ring clamps. I have my Cap grounded to one, and my amp gronded to another, and there are a couple to spare. these are nice because there is no paint on these bolts or brackets. Under the seat was a little trickier.
Ended up using the left rear bolt that holds the passenger to the car. Need to sand the paint off first, and cut some plastic off the bracket cover if you want to put it back on . (ok, or you can have it bulging out inconspicuously like mine does :) )

good luck, I'd like to see some pics of your prgress if you get a chance.
-ted

Thank you VERY VERY much Ted! Excellent instructions there! I might need to get a pic from you, showing the power through the grommet. I think i saw something you described (oval shaped), but i'm not sure.

I also saw a big bunch of wires going thru the firewall in the middle of the car, but I didn't think there was anymore space to squeeze anything in thru that hole.

Also I'm not too sure about getting the cable through back seat. Would be great if you could send me some pics :)

oh, my e-mail is douglam@rocketmail.com

Thanks again!

No prob,
Glad I could help, thats what the board is really for eh?
I'm actually building a different box for my subs this afternoon,
I'll see if my buddy will bring his camera by.
Hopefully I can get some pics up in the next couple days.
I also say the large bundle running through the firewall in the middle, however this one runs to the ECU which is located under the passenger floorwell. the ECU has a bunch of analog control signals going ot it, so i didnt want to run a high power wire beside them in case it caused interference or noise in the signals, much like they would by a set of RCAs.

To get to the back seat, i did forget one thing:
The power wire runs under the plastic panels long the door frame, then under the large plastic piece beside the rear searback. I had to cut off a small plastic tab on that piece because when i went to put the plastic back on it wanted to stab the power wire, the tab is on the back and unnecessary, so have no fear :),
maybe i can snap some pics of this too, i'll just throw em on the web somewhere.

Take care
-ted

Back