Mazda Speed Upgrade Options?

PCGenious

Alright well I am in the middle of deciding between a mazda6S and a mazda speed. Mainly because its a little cheaper.

But if I got the MSP what could I do to make it faster. I have heard the turbo can handle like up to 9-10psi but that doesnt really seem like much, how much horse power and tourque would that add? And are there any turbo upgrades at all?

Thanks in advance.

Try the search for info on the boost controller, there's plenty out there. Spool has a ~$3K MSP turbo upgrade.

there's a upgrade alright. you could do the simple stuff like an intake and exhaust or you could go all out and just do a bigger Turbo kit from da man, da myth, the legend, Terry from SPOOL TURBO would work too. but the secret my friend is fine tuning the machine. can't go adding all that stuff and just expect the car to accept it with open arms. and there's really not going to be too much of an aftermarket for the 6 until the Mazdaspeed 6 comes out. so don't go holding your breath for aftermarket goodies

When does the mazdaspeed6 come out? Alright well what if I upped the boost to say 9, how much horse power would that add? I am just worried that this car won't be as fun as the 6s...does anyone know the 1/4mile times or 0-60 times for the MSP?

1/4 mile for MSP 14.9-15.1
1/4 mile for M6s 15.1 (i think I saw that somewhere around here)

I think with some minor adjustments you can be doing mid 14s in the MSP and with MBC at 10-12 psi you should do low 14s. Just watch the engine carefully and take care of it. The warranty is null and void once that MBC is on there...

0-60 in the low 7's, don't know 1/4 mile but do a search, I'd suspect mid 15's or so but... drive 'em both back to back and get your impressions. You don't drive numbers, you drive the seat of your pants (*unless you're racing/autoXing, in which case do the math).

FIRST: Determine what kind of driving you're going to do. If it's a 1-hour slog in traffic every day on rough roads or stop-n-go interstate, get the 6s - in an automatic. The MSP will be too stiff, too small, and too much clutching.

For me:

In comparison, the 6s is a big car. Big seats, big interior, big big big. For some this is "just right" - and it would perfect for me if I had that 1-hour commute (but I'd still clutch it! Too mucha purist for my own good). Great quality, stable, firm, handles great as a cruiser/Grand Touring car. Decent sound system. Big. Fast. Not (by comparison) "flingable". More for an autobahn than a road course or autoX.

The MSP is, by comparison, small, intimate, very firm (to the point of being "stiff"). It's more on the "quick" side of "fast", more for a road course or autoX than an autobahn. Seats are better sized to my frame (I'm a 5'9" road racing/MTB cyclist - fairly lean). Phenominal sound system for stock - and the "distracting" face can be very easily programmed to be very businesslike (the car magazines don't tell you THAT.) MSP doesn't have cruise control available except aftermarket - and I'm looking into that. LOADED with personality. Only endemic issues are some throttle surging (we're working on that) and some have reported the rear suspension clunking occasionally (and Mazda's working on THAT.) One frustration I have is that there's not a lot you HAVE to do with this car - the factory did most of the tuning for you.

Don't let a few thou separate you from the right car - how often do you make this large a purchase decision? Buy what's right. For me, it was the MSP, despite being a 40+ year old married father of 2. It was a great alternative to the Mini I wanted (but was too small). The 6 was just, I dunno, a little too "big" and "grown up" for me. Maybe the Mazdaspeed 6 would be perfect, but I suspect it'll be too loaded up/leatherplated/costly.

Good luck whatever you choose! Both are excellent cars.

PCGenious said:
When does the mazdaspeed6 come out? Alright well what if I upped the boost to say 9, how much horse power would that add? I am just worried that this car won't be as fun as the 6s...does anyone know the 1/4mile times or 0-60 times for the MSP?

I test drove both the 6 (and own a Speed). My opinion...the MSP is more fun to drive...handling is tighter.

wow, I didnt know the 1/4 mile for the MSP was so low, I think for the 6 they are like mid 15s. I wouldnt want to raise the boost then if I could hurt my engine, so I would probably just do some minor things.

No.5 said:

I test drove both the 6 (and own a Speed). My opinion...the MSP is more fun to drive...handling is tighter.

Cool, I guess I will just test drive both then kind of make my decision from that.

PCGenious said:

Cool, I guess I will just test drive both then kind of make my decision from that.

BUT, like Ping posted above, the car's are completely different...it really depends what your looking for.

The only drawback in my opinion is the lack of cruise control on the Speed (and sunroof...but then again all my previous cars had sunroof's so I'm biased).

Yea well I dont really use cruise control all the often, same with sunroofs so those dont really matter to me. now I am starting to sway towards the MSP though saying that it is a little faster/cheaper/and smaller than the 6.

PCGenious said:
Yea well I dont really use cruise control all the often, same with sunroofs so those dont really matter to me. now I am starting to sway towards the MSP though saying that it is a little faster/cheaper/and smaller than the 6.

Yep, I agree. I hear ya. When I first saw the european launch of the Mazda 6-5 door (hatchback), I wanted it. But after the Canadain prices were released, and adding the options that I desired, it made the car a little to pricey.

I always had the MSP on my list, but ofcourse my 2nd choice was the vehicle I purchased.

I love the car but have been having my problems with it.

1. Clunk (need I say more);
2. Stalling - waiting for Mazda Canada to provide a permanent fix;
3. Windshield cracked within the first week (stress crack);
4. Car Alarm at time's is very "cranky" - too sensitive even on the least sensitive position.

No.5 said:

Yep, I agree. I hear ya. When I first saw the european launch of the Mazda 6-5 door (hatchback), I wanted it. But after the Canadain prices were released, and adding the options that I desired, it made the car a little to pricey.

I always had the MSP on my list, but ofcourse my 2nd choice was the vehicle I purchased.

I love the car but have been having my problems with it.

1. Clunk (need I say more);
2. Stalling - waiting for Mazda Canada to provide a permanent fix;
3. Windshield cracked within the first week (stress crack);
4. Car Alarm at time's is very "cranky" - too sensitive even on the least sensitive position.

Is anyone else having these problems?

get the MSP.. the mazda 6 is a damn good car,, if you like nice cars.. it will get up and go.. but its allabout what kind of car you want..
nice car = mazda 6,,, nice car but fun as hell = MSP

Most MSP owners have one or a combination of the well documented 'problem' with our cars. Personally, I only have the clunk (VERY minor IMHO) and fairly severe hesitation only in hotter ambient temps (starting at 85F or so). There are bandaids and fixes available for these 'problems' but most people deal with them because otherwise the car is SO FUN TO DRIVE EVERYDAY (2thumbs)

Peace...(hippy)

PCGenious said:

Is anyone else having these problems?

Search is your friend.

1. Clunk - 100's of posts, campaign to fix being lead by Newf; although I think he's stepping down..

2. Stalling (or for some hesitation) - read my Thread "Stalling: Huge Safety concern"

3. & 4 - try da search

I don't want to swade you either way. Mazda will fix the problems. But it's good knowing what your potentially getting into prior to buying it.

The car is FUN to drive; awesome handling for it's price.

what is this "clunk" yall speak of?? I for sure have the hesitation,, which sux balls, but I dont know what the clunk thing is....

SuperSpud said:
what is this "clunk" yall speak of?? I for sure have the hesitation,, which sux balls, but I dont know what the clunk thing is....

I can only speak to the MSP (I have never driven in an MP3, so I'm not sure if the sound is identical).

Clunk = Bushings

Basically the noise sounds as if the board in the trunk (which covers the spare tire) is constantly hitting the base of the trunk; when I first picked up the car, that's what I thought the problem was. However I easily determined that it was not the root problem by simply removing the entire board from the trunk and driving the car...only to hear continue to hear the sound again.
Then ofcourse using this Forum, I found out in a matter of minutes what truly was going on.....

Hey mine has a slight rattel in the trunk when the sub is hitting moderatly. Upon opening the trunk the noise is way more pronouced... It ended up being the kenwood box moving. Where the factory put the foam to absorb some of the vibration, well that foam did'nt sit right.

I to have a clunk in the rear end, and only sometimes ( i.e changing lanes and slight bumps ) almost as if it was coming from the passenger side. I'd bet the sound is coming from an improperly seated bushing where the spring meets the upper chassis. Which is common on the Fords I work on.

Back