Shifting in P5

zerodk

Well, I'm new to the world of 5 speed but I have a couple of questions regarding shifting:

1) I am shifting pretty easy at this early stage but I do notice myself going much slower compared to other cars (auto). So I try to shift faster on a few occasions, but shifting fast on 1st and 2nd gear is v. hard. The shifter need to be tug quite hard to move between those gears - frankly, more than I'm comfortable with. Is that normal? (The quick shifting among the rest is ok)

2) I notice a small quick jerk when I let go of my clutch after going to a new gear. Is that because I release the clutch too fast still? I thought I am pretty smooth with its release by now. Do I have to give gas immediately to obtain smooth shifts? I find it almost as if that helps!

it just takes practice and experience, man. When I first got my 2002 red P5, it had 9000 miles on it cuz it was a demo model. As a result, lots of people drove her to get an idea on how the car would ride, etc. So, my clutch was in pretty bad shape when I first got it. Practice driving her smoothly more often, and eventually you'll get it. If not, your clutch could need replacing, who knows. Also, like you said, try releasing the clutch more slowly, and see if she engages more softly (hence no more bump). Well, best of luck. It would be so much easier if I could just drive your car! LOL

You might have the revs. high - it'll take more of a tug on the shifter if you take it to 6K! Get out of 1st as soon as you can.
You could invest in a short thro. shifter - as this helps that problem.

if its jerking youre giving it too much gas AND/OR dropping the clutch too fast

zerodk: i know where your coming from, i just got my 2003 laser blue P5 like four weeks ago. i just started learning stick then. i just drove like crazy. i got about 2500 miles already. i'm still learning and it'll take time.

I actually test drove the P5 5 spd and if your learning thats the car to learn on! Try releasing the clutch in second slower and the transition to 3rd and 4th can be fast clutch and shift, just be patient it comes with time youll have it down in no time flat.

1--yeah mine is pretty hard going from 1-2 also...I wouldn't tug it too hard if i were you, don't wanna mess up the synchros and whatnot.

2--Yes, you should be gassing a little while you release your clutch, this is to get your engine at the revs that it needs to be at. If you can rev-match with the gas like this, then THEORETICALLY you will be smooth no matter how fast you release the clutch--and if you're REAL good, this will allow shifting without using the clutch at ALL (i wouldn't try this, of course) :) But yeah, give it the right amount of gas, don't release your clutch too fast, and it should be smooth sailing.

try not to stay in 1st for too long, 2nd is fast and gives rapid acceleration. the 1st is not for driving
what i do is go into 1st and as soon as the car starts moving i go quicly into 2nd. i dont fully release the clutch when im in 1st so that i go quicker into 2nd.
im still learning that but it goes much faster .
its a pain to see automatics surging ahead of you....with proper shifting u should leave them qiuckly behind

Last edited:
You guys think that you are having problems shifting from first to second..

Ha!

Try shooting nitrous in 1st gear than shifting into second...It's one of the hardest things..And i have a short throw shifter Installed & Bushings!

I have talked to many a people and they all say the same thing...Replace your tranny fluid w/ Redline MT-90....This is one of my next mods...

try not to stay in 1st for too long, 2nd is fast and gives rapid acceleration. the 1st is not for driving
what i do is go into 1st and as soon as the car starts moving i go quicly into 2nd. i dont fully release the clutch when im in 1st so that i go quicker into 2nd.

That is the worst way to shift..You will wind up burning out your Clutch!

My Suggestion would be to get going in first..than shift into second..and when shifting into 2nd gear..make sure you apply gas w/ the clutch which will give you a smoother shift!

Remember guys this is not automatic so don't try to shift it like it's one...

Chas
P.S. The higher the RPM's in 1st gear the harder to shift into 2nd gear!

I had this problem too at first. When shifting from first into second the shifter would seem like it was bumping into something keeping it from settling into second gear.

The Kartboy shifter bushings solved this. Less play in the shifter, a bit more precise shifts. Worth the $20 or so and 20 min install.

Hope that might help.

Thanks for all the input. I'll try not to rev too high in 1st gear Actually, now that I have over 3000kms on it, I still haven't rev anything past 4k in any gear. Also, I don't typically drop the clutch (ie too fast and too much gas) unless I panic in traffic and the surge that I feel here is much different than the "hiccups" I feel just "trying" to release the clutch smoothly (i.e. hiccups vs. rodeo). But I'll try your suggestion and upgrade to a short shifter soon.

Many Thanks

Short shift is absolutely a good mod as well as the bushing. I bought the Kartboy ss and bushings. Have them installed today and felt A HUGE difference.

Couple things

* bent the heat shield a little bit at first..but not enough...when I shifted into 1st and 5th gear.. I can hear it knock to the heat shield. So, bent it MORE.,..

* remove the bushings is kind of hard..at least harder than I expect..had the heat shield next to the bushings removed so I can remove the old one then install the new one..

Anyway, finally got them installed at 6000 miles on the car...also the second oil change .. i really think the ss and bushings are the RIGHT thing to get..:D

Best

Jason

Back