Break in period?

SuperSpud

Yeah so my MSP has 400 miles on it now.. the dealer didnt tell me about any breakin period.. so I have been driving rather hard...

should I calm the driving down a little? is there a certain time/miles that I should be breaking in my car? also.. after I "break in" my car,, will it be faster?? lol.. i raced my friends integra LS tonight,, and didnt fare to well... ha ha.. I know it was MOSTLY b/c it is only my second night of driving a standard.. but still.... so yeah,, will my car eventually be broken in?

YES, you should keep the revs below 3000 rpms for the first 600 or more miles and then increase the rpms little by little until you reach around 1000 miles or so. DONT mess up your car by doing what you're doing now!

ohhhhh s***.. umm.. ok, so I have a good 200 miles of reving and racing.. is it too late now? am I screwed? is my car going to blow up or somthing.. ha h a ha..

but seriously.. is it neccesarily bad if I have already screwed around?

I believe in the "drive the car like you will drive it for as long as you have it" break-in philosophy. Whether it's true or not, I dunno but I passed seven thousand miles tonight and still no issues.

i know its better for your car if you do what your supposed to do, but there is no need for you to worry about your engine blowing up. there are tons of people that dont follow the break in period. You may want to talk to someone more experienced, but thats my 2 cents.

drive to 500 miles change the oil trust me its full of junk at 500. drive to 1500 and ur safe to have a little fun. @ 3000 miles change the oil and filter and mash the pedal away! just cool ur turbo down after hard driving!!! get a turbo timer!!! Email me or send me message on my AIM: JDMSAMX if want a timer for a good price

UGH? i didn't realize you were opening up on it all the time!

d00d- take it easy. i didn't open up on my protege until after 1000miles. don't take it over 3 or 4k until about 600miles.

btw- when you do get on it, shift at 6k, the powerband drops off soon after

don't worry about racing right now, get a feel for the transmission. you'll be spanking kyle in no time!

yeah that was a fun race eric. I'm sure as you figure out your car you will get faster. Any time you want a rematch, I will be ready. I dunno if the integra will be around though... mwahahah

DOOD!!! you integra is like supercar or somthing... no matter who or what you race, you beat/stay right with with them..

yeah I dunno what it is. I just know how to get it off the line. I love it though, I like suprising people. I hope I can do the same with the new car.

initialRES said:
yeah I dunno what it is. I just know how to get it off the line. I love it though, I like suprising people. I hope I can do the same with the new car.

you aren't gonna want my azenis at the end of the summer now are you?

Hey, I'll run anyone who wants to go. Its pretty quick, no one knows why. I love it, but not enough to keep it. Also I need to change my sig. I took off the neons and euros and now have it lowered. But that doesn't really matter. If you were in houston, it could be a fun race. What car do you have and what mods?

Hahah- Break in :).. I had under 150 miles on mine when I put the MBC in it and cranked the boost :). It has been a "test mule" from day one for me. It now has 5000 miles (ouch- that was FAST- I just made my first payment last week!!!!) and I have not had one problem with it- aside from the damn stereo going blank and locking up twice while driving :wtf: and the damn trunk key lock hasn't worked since I got it..
Joe

I would definitely say it's broken in. As long as you havn't had any extend period of high revs under 200 miles. kinda like kleinubing

I don't want to sound loke a smart ass because I mean no disrespect at all I am no mechanical genuis. I thought cars now a days were all broken in it wasn't like in the old days when you had to seat the rings now that is done at the factory. I could be wrong and ussaully am just ask the wife

Not necessarily broken in, but the machining tolerances are much better than they were years ago.. Even my machine shop (who has done my motors for about 7 years) says to let it go through one complete heat and cool cycle and if the rings aren't seated then, they never will. They do so many rebuilds and from fleet vehicles to private passenger cars to full blown race cars and that is how they break them all in. I personally feel they need a bit more time than that, but I haven't lost a motor due to poor break in yet. The biggest thing is the rings seating, the bearings and all aren't too big a deal- as I said, the machining it pretty accurate now. My MSP used 1/2 quart of oil in the first 800 miles while the rings were seating- at 10 psi :) and hasn't used a drop since.
Joe

Back