GAS MILEGE

I don't know exactly where the change is across the country, but the highest octane we can buy out west is 91. Most places have 85 as well, but I don't know who buys that stuff.

I saw 100 octane fuel at the pump once, but it was for ATV's, and they had a notice on the pump about not using it in your car.

yeah i still dont get this whole 93 and 94 thats just crazy to me.....i use middle grade gas so i feel like i get better gas but i aint over doing it by getting the highest so....and i have over 16k on my ride and i am averaging about 22-25mpg but i guess thats because every time i drive i am always racing out and then backing off and cruizing.....just got a lead foot when at stop lights

Just to add to the octane info department... I have used octane from 86 up to 117 in all my different vehicles. The 117 in my 11 second Turbo Buick running 26 pounds of boost. Those who run more than 87 octane in a basically stock P5 are simply wasting their money and actually dirtying up the engine from unburnt gas. (carbon deposits) Lower octane fuel has a lower temp flash point and MORE BTUs than higher octane that simply take more heat or pressure to ignite. If your motor does not have the timing, compression, or boost to add to the fuel ignition... that expensive high octane fuel is sitting on the top of your pistons like a carbon cake... eventually after long enough you WILL begin to need the higher octane fuel because you will actually begin to raise the compression of the cylinders by adding to the height of the pistons. (carbon cakes) This is on the extreme side but it can and does happen. We turbo Buick guys have to run top end cleaner once or twice a year to get all the carbon out of the chambers. Stop wasting your money, get better gas mileage, stop polluting the air, have a cleaner motor, and get MORE horse power from the extra BTUs by using the recommended 87 octane in the Mazda Protg 5!!!
Charles Smith :D

Thank you Charles Smith. I could have gone into a whole chemistry class lecture for Octane and gasoline, but I'm sure Korey hasn't gotten that far in high school. He went as far as to try and bash me about something about him with his horse or something, but you have to consider the source. All I said was that lower octane gas burns better in lower temps. Plus, evereyone who buys 91+ octane, do u actually think Bin Laden at the nearest shell station really cares about what grade gas goes into his tanks? It's probably all 87.

Back