portable mp3 player?(ipod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekangel

Anyone has sucessfuly hook up a portable mp3 player to their stock radio on the MP5? Is it possible to have a minijack where the tape/md player would go?
If not what options are available? Double DIN receiver with inputs?

Thanks all
:(

Just buy a MP3/CD player, you can get a decent one for pretty cheap nowadays.

You only other choice really for the stock radio is an FM Modulator. It will degrade sound quality a bit though.

I'm sure 1stMP3 will come in and give his recomendations shortly. :D

Thats pretty much the only two ways.
unless you are an electrical engineer and can reverse engineer the CD changer connection to be an aux input.

I am dieing to slap my 20GB Nomad Zen into the mix of the system, but much to my dismay the only way I can do it right is with a new head unit. Oh well, that's the way it's got to be. FM modulators are ok but if i'm gonna tear my stereo apart might as well do it right with an aux input. On the bright side, if you buy a new head unit with sirius controls right now they will give you the tuner for free... satellite radio and mp3 jukebox = :)

I'm working on it

I'm working on the md/tape interface thing it'll be a few weeks but between me (biomedical engineer) and a my friend who is a physics and electical engineering major we hopefully will figure it out. I could use some pinouts for the connection if anyone has them or knows where to find them. Will keep everyone posted.

Mish

Yo Mish, if you guys could figure that out it would RULE!! Definately keep us updated on this as I'm sure we're all curious to see the outcome. If it works and you guys were to slap a little kit together I know that personally I would buy one... but a how to would be just as good ;). Anyway, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I replaced the factory stock unit on my P5 with my old head unit that had a "MP3" jack. It's just a 1/8" stereo plug that functions as an AUX input. I use an ARCHOS FM Recorder (20 GB) for long car trips and use a simple male-male 1/8" stereo cord (from Radio Shack) to connect to my head unit. The sound is much better than any FM modulator or tape adaptor I've used in the past. If your want to stick with the factory radio, I would use the tape adapter. I had one for listening to CDs on my old 93 Protege DX. BTW, my head unit is the JVC KD-SH55. Good luck!

Damn Mish.... I guess if a Biomedical Engineer and a physics & electrical engineering major can't figure it out then we are in pretty bad shape. Any progress at all?

OK. I am an electrical engineer and finally got the time to figure out how to add aux or line in to P5 stock stereo. I'll be writing a complete how-to and post in this forum.

Cheers.

When you have it I can also sticky it here.
Just let me know when its ready to go.

I just picked up my 2003 Vivid Yellow P5 today and this is one of the first things I'm interested in knowing about. Can't wait for your post Protege5_TO.

My plan right now is to keep the stock head unit, add an amp and upgrade the speakers ala SirNuke. If there are any good sites or threads I've missed on how to do the amp and speakers I would appreciate it if someone could point me to them.

www.mobileaudio.com started me out with alot of general knowledge. Also I have a sticky up on this site on all the materals you may need and the guys in the audio section with me here do a great job of keeping things on topic so the search feature in the car audio section should get you enough infor to be able to anything at this point.

Congradulations on the P5 and welcome to the site.
Just so you know all are welcome to PM me with their audio concerns or site ideas.

(thumb)

If someone does figure this out, I think they'll be a hero!

I know numerous people eagerly waiting for a solution.

A lot of us don't want to mess with changing a head unit and really just want an aux input.

Last edited:
16 Pin Connector

Does anyone have the mapping for the unused 16 pin connector in the back of the stock HU on the Protege5? I'm all ready to go, just need to know what pin does what.

solder right to the cd player?

Regarding an AUX in...

Some guys with RX-8's were doing a unique mod where they were soldering a connector right to the CD player. Now, of course these are different generation sound systems, but I wonder if the black double-din generation has similar contacts.

If you go about halfway down this page to a post by ectomort, you can see pictures of this mod for the RX-8 sound system.

Unfortunately I'm personally not going to be pulling my whole deck out to muck around when I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start, but maybe it'll be a new lead for somebody else?

(The original guy who did the mod is in the same thread at the very top of the page.

i have a bunch of info i can throw in a zip from where i was at with this mod if you'd like
just PM me
i gave up and wired an FM tranzy to it.

i hooked up my ipod to my stereo, wasn't that hard really, basically took the radio totally apart. Right under the cd player unit there is a circuit board with about 15 solder points really close to each other, these are marked and i just soldered to the right channel, left, and ground and that was it. All i have to do is play a blank cd at the same time cause all my wires are doing is taping into the signal from the cd player. I also found some solder points on the circuit board that is right where the tape/md player would hook in, I was going to try soldering to that but it would have been pretty hard, maybe I'll try it eventually

just added som ephotos on imagestation
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287200503

Last edited:
get a quality Pioneer get the ip bus then go ipod to 3.5mm stereo mini jack --> RCA --> RCA in --> IP BUS --> DECK --> AUX

in best sounding quality right there if you don't like pioneer get a JVC with the mp3 in on the faceplate, that works just as good but usually almost all pioneer decks have the ip bus adapter on the deck

Protege5_TO said:
OK. I am an electrical engineer and finally got the time to figure out how to add aux or line in to P5 stock stereo. I'll be writing a complete how-to and post in this forum.

Cheers.

I was wondering if you had any luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back