Got my E-spec aspheric mirrors

:
2001 BJFP MT
:
2016 BMYFS AT
I just got these European aspheric mirrors today (for those who don't understand, read http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/boxster/mirrors.html ). I can now see my blind spot at the driver's side with the mirror! FYI, the US spec left mirror is flat and the right side is convex. The European ones are convex on both sides, but on the left side it curves to an even more radical angle as you go towards the outside. I also replaced the right side mirror which is the same as the US spec one except it doesn't have that stupid warning imprint. You want a cheap useful mod? This is it. Money spent: 25 bucks. I popped the stock mirror glass off and popped in these new ones. All you have to do is just yank the mirror off with your bare hands.

Before:
attachment.php

After:
attachment.php

Objects in mirror ARE closer than they appear!
attachment.php

You can see the divider line where it goes to bug eye view:
attachment.php

The boxes:
attachment.php

To get them you will have to talk to an importer. The part numbers are:
BJ4B-69-1G7A for the left side
B21M-69-1G1A for the right side

These will ONLY fit the painted 3rd gen mirrors, they will NOT work on the black mirrors. They will also fit the 97-98 2nd gen mirrors (yes, they're not painted, but they're made by the same supplier)

If you have unpainted black mirrors, then the part numbers are:
BJ3E-69-183 for the left side
B25D-69-123 for the right side

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,211
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2,179
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,149
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,610
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:
As for the whole E-spec painted mirror assembly, the part numbers are:
BJ4D-69-120C-xx right side
BJ4D-69-180C-xx left side

and if you wanted heated mirrors:
BJ4E-69-120C-xx right side
BJ4E-69-180C-xx left side

the xx number is the same as the code sticker on top of your touch up paint bottle

hey edwin, i gotta ask, where o where do yu come up with all these part numbers, and oh so much information, tell tell!!!

anyhow, you (as you know) are a HUGE ASSET to the entire protege community!
keep it up.

good mod, nice and cheap!

cool!

from your wiper stalk to these mirrors, your the master of subtle OEM mods. nice detective work on finding out about these =D

Yall don't know the half of it! Big props for all the help! Hey Edwin, as you know, my Mazdaspeed oil cooler came in, as well as my new EGR tube. Thanks again for your help.

this mirror has already paid for itself... I was driving on my way to work today and I no longer have to turn my head for a shoulder check while merging onto the highway.. the mirror perfectly shows my "blind spot"! A car can be right next to me and the mirror will show it.. and when it goes out of view, I can see the car in my peripheral vision right next to my door

That's awesome!! One of my biggest beefs with the P5 is that I cannot tilt the mirrors far enough out to see the 'blind spots'. I will definitely be looking into this one.

Thanks Edwin!

What is the difference between unpainted and painted mirrors. A part from the paint of course. I was thinking of having mine painted the colour of my car, but should I just buy them prepainted from the dealership?

a subtle thing I haven't noticed until recently... my new passenger mirror glass is actually a bit more convexed than the US spec one, which is nearly flat.... I noticed that when I was driving and saw a car in the "blind spot" (rear right half of the vehicle)... this is something that the US spec mirror failed to show before.... explains why I maxed out the passenger side mirror adjustment so easily because the end of it is hitting the housing!

so there we go... no more blind spot when I drive my car!

for the geeks...

FMVSS/CMVSS 111 does not permit convex mirrors at the driver's side under a certain physical area (in this case, passenger car mirrors) and restricts the convexivity of mirrors that are permitted to be convex (this reduces the effectiveness of the passenger side mirror in essence)... it also requires the stupid "objects in mirror..." warning label in passenger car's passenger convex side mirrors... aspheric mirror installation is only permitted for passenger side for passenger cars

UNECE R46 permits the use of either flat mirrors or convex mirrors... it specifies more convexivity than what FMVSS/CMVSS 111 would... it also permits aspheric (dual plane convex) mirrors for either side.... it also requires a higher level glare reduction than what FMVSS/CMVSS 111 would

so why is it this way? very simple
driver skill requirements are higher in order to safely use the ECE mirrors (which everyone else in the world uses also) than what the DOT ones would... there are tons of proof that driver education is much more intense in foreign countries than in North America... they teach people the fact that convex mirrors WILL make objects appear closer.... North American driver education barely even touches that fact as well as distance judgement training and therefore many of the average North American driver are unable to judge speed as well as distance behind them... hence why the very restricted use of convex mirrors by NHTSA because they don't want to take away what little distance judgement there is from American drivers

TheMAN said:
As for the whole E-spec painted mirror assembly, the part numbers are:
BJ4D-69-120C-xx right side
BJ4D-69-180C-xx left side

and if you wanted heated mirrors:
BJ4E-69-120C-xx right side
BJ4E-69-180C-xx left side

the xx number is the same as the code sticker on top of your touch up paint bottle

Hmmm, heated mirrors would be nice up here...I hate trying to scrape crap off the mirror and keep it from re-freezing later on in the drive.

Another nice find.

This is awesome, Edwin you are the man.

I assume CorkSport would be the best bet for these?

(offtopic)
Thanks for your info on the Euro Wiper Stalk, I just got mine from CorkSport put in last night. $66, rock on.
(/offtopic)

jrodhotrod said:
This is awesome, Edwin you are the man.

I assume CorkSport would be the best bet for these?

(offtopic)
Thanks for your info on the Euro Wiper Stalk, I just got mine from CorkSport put in last night. $66, rock on.
(/offtopic)

What's the part number for the wiper stalk again?

Just to let you guys know, they don't have them in yellow. The only yellow cars in Europe are the MX-3's and the 6's.

mrpopnfresh said:
Just to let you guys know, they don't have them in yellow. The only yellow cars in Europe are the MX-3's and the 6's.

I heard...Good thing mine is blue.

You can still get the housings, just pop on your mirror colored part thing...

Latest posts

Back