Thin Paint?

Here is a company that protects your paint from everyday debris. My friend's dad had this done on his 2001 BMW 740iL.
http://www.permafinish.com/

I would have this done to my cars, but the company is out of Atlanta.

This is from their website:

Exterior vehicle maintenance just got easier, cheaper and faster!
If you have a new automobile, boat, airplane, motor home or RV -- Perma-Finish will protect the paint and finish while enhancing resilience and luster. Older and used vehicles look new, as though just refinished: newly painted, polished, and sealed. No car detailing, car wash or wax, can match the brilliant, protective, hardcoat shine that Perma-Finish guarantees to last for 6 years. For most cars, routine washing is all you'll ever need to maintain that 'just out of the showroom" shine.

well i got to those do it your self spray and wash places and i bring my own cleaning products i spray with the sprayer then wash with my own spung and then detail it by the vacum bays............

Ryan,
I never said you were a complete idiot?? Was that comment directed toward me?? Anyway, I think I have stated in this thread, that I am a faithful believer in Mother's brand car care products. I use thier car wash too. Its a little expensice, but like I said, you only need 1 or 2 oz. for a bucket full of water, so it lasts. I find that Mothers soap really works to emulsify the dirt, and makes removal of it easier. However, in a pinch, any car wash soap that says it will not strip wax will do. Other products to look for/worth considering are 3M products, whose product line is extensive. 3M even manufatures 2 different glazes for dark or light colored cars. Also, an old trade secret, probably will need to call your local paint supply store, or body shop, is stuff called Liquid Ebony #27, made by Clean Brite I think, not sure. The company is out of Brooklyn, and is made actually by an auto body/paint shop. Stuff is excellent as a swirl remover, light scratch remover, and oxidation. However, wax must be applied over this glaze. For darker colored cars(like my Black P5)or blue, green, even red, this stuff makes the paint look "wet" when you are all done waxing your ride. That stuff is expensive, but the reward is awsome.
Mike

Also, wash your car with warm water. Paint surface is pourous, so the warmth opens up its pores, and allows deeper cleaning, and better wax bonding.Also, it is good to have the paint slightly warmed when applying wax...NOT HOT!!!! slightly warm. It helps in the bonding and hardening process. After you have removed all the wax, mist your whole car with COLD water from the hose, it sets up the wax, and makes it even harder, then wipe off water droplets with a chamois.
Mike

ah crap, ive been using dish soap for years. dammit. that means im gonna hafta waste a day washing and waxing :(

Man. This has been a godd thread! Racer5, earlier in the thread I mentioned the "grease" that they used on my wife's truck. I was talking about the "armor all" type-stuff they used on the interior. It made everything all shiny, but also made it very greasy to touch (lost grip on the steering wheel on a couple occassions). Every other person that gets in the truck says, "Man, what's that smell." Do they use that stuff to avoid really cleaning or is it just for the shine?
Hope this makes sense.

so the paint on the proteges chips up easily? that sucks... i was choosing on getting a dark blue or silver. guess ill be getting a silver now

Slooper, they use that for shine. One thing people do wrong when applying these conditioners, is they do not go back over it with a clean towel to remove excess. Bad detailer--Bad Detailer!!! :mad: sorry, your detail hump at your Mazda dealer is a hacker!! Just wipe it down with a clean dry cloth, you should be fine.

Any detail shop that puts ArmorAll on your steering wheel should be burned down!! Are they crazy? Not only does that crap make everything slippery/greasy, it also eats through stitching. If you have a leather steering wheel in that car, better contact that shop and get 'em to sign something - you wheel could loose its' stitching and fall apart.

It has to do with the ArmorAll and UV - I had a car with a vinyl convertible top, and it just fell apart at the seams after a few years. The shop that replaced it told me it was the Armor All that did it - the stitching just disintegrates.

Wow. That's news about Armor All. I always thought it was like the holy grail of car products. Thanks for the tips guys. Actually the steering wheel on my wife's S10 is leather. Oh well, it's a lease anyway and it's up in a couple months so let the dealer worry about it. BTW leases are a creation straight from the pit of hell and I'm convinced that they put blood in those pen's that you sign the contract with. I suppose the only exception is if you live AT your work and take the bus everywhere else. :mad:

anybody ever owned a baseball glove? this is something that works really well and it's cheap. try using neetsfoot(sp?) oil. it's a leather conditioner. find it near the shoe polish works great but make sure to use it sparingly

I agree with the Armor all eating thru the stiching. Also, remember one thing, Armor all is water based, you should NEVER put water on Leather!!! Water will make leather crack!! I NEVER USE ARMOR ALL. Find something that is an oil based dressing.
BTW, anyone who puts it on thier steering wheel should be shot!! If you do you must remove all of the excess, so it shines, but no slip. This can be time consuming, in other words, don't even bother.

almost 2 weeks later and i havent had time to deal with chips yet :( as per armour all, when my parents traded in their '82 Tbird, armourall had just about destroyed the whole thing. i believe with armour all if you dont keep it up it eats it, its the dehydrating or something that causes the rot. ask an audi thread what they use for interior, i know they had a good thread on this'un

pthree:

Just to let you know, I don't care what kind of paint you have on your car, eggs will chip the paint.

Also to the rest of you, I have heard that good coat of wasx will actually help keep road debris from tearing up your paint. I don't know how true this is, but I do know, that you need to scrub lovebugs off the front of your car, becuase those suckers will take the paint RIGHT OFF! ;(

So any of ya'll planning on driving through Florida, make sure you take a scrub brush with you, and GET THE BUGS OFF! you'll be sorry if you wait!

(I guess people don't reall drive "Through Florida", more like In Florida.. ;) ) (If you don't get that, look at a map)
-Miker

Back