Subwoofer

T

twa

Alright you Car Audiophiles. I need some advice. I haven't got my stereo installed in my car yet but right now I have an Alpine head unit (7875) and some Infinity reference speakers for each door. Now since my parents are hooking me up with some loot for xmas so I can buy a sub/amp/enclosure I need to decide what to get! Since I work at Circuit City I'm limited to those options for the biggest performance to $$ ratio for the discount. I don't want to take up my whole trunk so I'm thinking about a single bandpass enclosure 10" or 12". A circuit city employee was recommending that I go with a 12" Alpine Type R woofer and said the Alpine amps are good too. Let me know what you all think I should get, if you want to stop by the Circuit city website and let me know what my best options are that would be great. I'm not going all out though, I was trying to keep the costs down while getting some nasty thump....isn't everyone? Anyhow, I'm looking for amps around $200....I get half off so it won't be too bad, but I don't think I need any more than that anyhow. Thanks for your help.

I used to work at Circuit City too, the Roadshop. Personally I think that a 10 or 12 inch MTX Thunder 8000 and a nice Alpine V12 2 channel amp will sound great. Let me know what ya get and if you liked it. Good luck.

Mike

I think that out of all the subs that Circuit City carries (without special order items) that the 8000 series subwoofer performs the best, keep in mind with a powerful amp.

I work in a local shop that sells alpine and I used to work in a shop that sells mtx. I would prefer the type r over the 8000. The type r hits lower bass and is more eficient. It also has a smaller box size. Put it in a ported box, tune it at 40Hz and it will beat the hell out of you.

Alright...well guess I can't go wrong with either of those woofers. Now for size and enclosure type. 10 or 12"??? Ported, Sealed or Bandpass? Keep in mind that I'm only going to have a single sub enclosure. Thanks!

If you go with a ported 1.25cu inch enclosure with a 4x12 inch port it will be tuned at about 40Hz and it will slam. This is for a type R

I dont know if this will help you out, but to save space in the trunk im going with a single 12 inch subwoofer. I have cerwin vega HED speakers so i think i might get a 12 inch HED-DVC Sub. Also for the amp, I heard sony's 1000w mono amp, which is on sale at best buy/circuit city for about 300 with a 50 dollar rebate is good choice. Good luck with your choice! (a little more expensive, but im also looking at a 12 inch W3 in the JL prowedge box)

I think I want to go with a sealed single 12" enclosure. I'm thinking about a dual voice coil Alpine type r woofer. I also found out that I can get the MTX thunder 6500d amp for about $125 at my door through the discount from the manuf. That sounds like a deal I really can't pass up on an amp. What do you y'all think?

The alpine should sound great in the car. i just got my p5 a couple weeks ago, and ive already thrown my pioneer premier cd player in, and my JL 15w0 in the back. and to be honest i love it. I had a 94 mirage before this, and it was fairly loud before. Now its really loud, and it sounds so clean. the only rattle i get, is the rear spoiler rattles a bit. My other car sounded like it was falling apart. :p hopefully you will be happy with whatever you end up with.

I changed my speakers out last week for replacement Infinity models. Nothing fancy, just they're reference line. It wasn't too bad, only took me about 3 hours to do all four speakers. I had to drill bigger holes in the replacement 5x7 speakers in the front. The front door panels were pretty easy to get off but I had a hard time in the rear. The outer portion of the door puller handle on the rear doors was very hard to get off on my car. Through a couple 1/8" holes into the door and the rear speakers were a little easier to install.

What a difference the sound quality made! The stock speakers suck! The size of the magnet is a joke!

Saturday I had my cd player switched out finally for my nice new Alpine (I'll post photos later). We had the cd player put on the bottom and the pocket on top of the cd player. The Alpine made a huge difference in sound quality and is quite powerful. Now I just have to figure out how to program the clock... :D

I'll be looking forward to getting my sub and amp from MTX so that I can take some of the bass duties from my small Infinity speakers.

Thom

Hold off on getting the MTGX if you plan on getting it. They are redesigning the venting system for better cooling and more power handling. It's in this months Merch News. Don't you love inventory?

i have a Kenwood eXcelon x817 head unit to a Alpine Premier series 300watt amp powering a JL 12" W3 and i have yet to meet anyone who can outbump me..esp in terms of clarity...well..except my friend with 4 JL 12" W6's..but hes a special exception

Sorry Greg, but my MTX stuff is already on the way. I quit just before Inventory as well which was this weekend. I was thinking to myself, why am I busting my nutz to work this part time job when I'm making crappy money. Right now the commission sucks because of the economy, I'd much rather have free time then make that crappy wage. The discount was worth it, but now I'm all set!

thom

Sounds like you will have a pretty bumping set up soon TWA, right on! :D Do you guys know if anyone has tryed to swap out the stock pro5 speakers for the stock MP3 speakers? It's an exact fit, and I'm sure it's a good improvement.

311mazda,

The MP3 has speakers on the rear deck so the swap could only go for the fronts only.

I'd spend the money an buy direct from Kenwood if you are thinking about it.

Mike

Whoohooo, my car is bumpin now! Definitely think the sub can sound better, but it's good for right now and provides sufficient thump.

Thom

The spoiler makes a lot of noise on the exterior with the bass on. Has anyone tightened there's up to make the hatch area a little more quiet?

Back