Electronic braking shuts off

A

afrey2002

On 4 different occations my brakes have some what failed, I'll be braking (normally) and I will get a violent rattle that pushes the brake pettle back and causes the car to stop at least 2 times the distance. Once I almost hit my friend, I had to pull my e-brake to keep the car from smashing into his. Does anyone else have this problem?

what you are experiencing sounds like the ABS kicking in. it snowed here last night and tried out my ABS. when it kicks in the peddle pressure changes and the peddle actually pushes back on my foot, however you are right about the sound. all ABS cars i've ever driven you simply get a constant thumping under your foot. on my p5 it sounds like all hell is breaking loose. it shudders and sounds like something is scraping and grinding. the stopping distance is longer because the car thinks it's slipping so it locking and unlocking the brakes.

Coming from a heavy snow fall area and having seen abs in action alot, most of the cars with abs have a grinding/pulsing noise when the system kicks in. Also the P5 seems to be very un-sound proof so you might be hearing it a little louder then you'd be used to for most cars.

Have the same damn thing happening to me. This is the first car that I have driven with ABS, but if this is what abs is, someone better tell me how to remove it. Almost killed myself three times, not to mention the damn noise. First time it happened I thought the wheel was going to fly off. Personally I don't think a metal grinding noise is normal. I have driven many a winter without ABS, and did just fine. I'm bringing in the car tomo.

I hate my ABS! I was turning into my driveway on Christmas and couldn't get stopped in time. I hit my dads van. :mad: I couldn't believe it. Luckily the only damage was the license plate frame. Right after I did it i took out my other car and it stopped with plenty of time to spare! I was so pissed off. My dad was just getting out of the van and because of the noise it made, he thought that the air bags went off! I thought ABS would be better, but obviously NOT!!!

Back