Anyone with much BMW experience?

I used to own an 88 528E, but I sold it.
Now I'm looking into an 87 535is. Very clean, and well maintained. Just wondering if anyone here has any ideas on what to expect. I miss the old one, and would love to get back into one.
It will be a second car, mainly for trips and comfortable driving. I'll have the MP3 or something else for autoXing eventually.
Thanks in advance.

I owned an 89 325i and an 80 320i...

not quite sure about the 535i though...your best bet would be to consult the E28 board on www.bimmer.org.

your 528E must have been pretty rare...and sought after for the cams and the exhaust manifold.

I do know that my 325i was a 'money pit' and the 320i was plagued with electrical gremlins.

regardless of how well-maintained the car is, an old car will have older parts and as you're familiar with already, old BMW parts are expensive. expect the seals to be worn...and at least Service II be performed.

I remember my 77 320 had all kinds of electrical issues, but it ran like a tank. Lights and electronics didn't always work, and sometimes in the rain the wipers didn't work (thank God for RainX), but it always ran. That car was fun, and after I basically rewired the entire car on my own, it ran like a champ!
Gotta talk to the boss tonight. If she says it's a go, I think I'll get it. I miss having one, and she'll love the ride of a 5 series. She thinks the MP3 is way too rough. Her loss, and I end up with a couple sweet rides out of the deal. :)
The 528E I had was sweet. It even had power headrests. POWER HEADRESTS! What the hell kind of lazy bastard needs power headrests??? Oh well, it was a bad ass ride, and a sweet way to spend my last 2 years of college. Never had any problems, but after 198000 miles the tranny was getting a little touchy. A rebuild was expensive, and I was still finishing school, so I stepped over to a new VW GTI. I wish I'd kept the 5 now. :(

**Bad day rant**
BTW, I paid for all of my cars on my own, along with all my schooling. Don't need to hear the spoiled kid crap. Never got so much as a co-sign on anything I have ever bought.
**/Bad Day Rant**

The age is kind of an issue, but I know that going in, and the owner has done a lot of the work already. I'll have to drive it and see how it runs.
Thanks!

Back