Running Power Cable from Engine to Rear?

P

protege5boy

Hey, I am putting in my Sub/Amp in the trunk of my P5 and I wonder what the best way to get the power cable from the engine (battery) to the trunk is? Basically, are you punching through the firewall, going around the doorwell etc? If you have any ideas or pictures please let me know, thanks.

Jointhecrowd.com

I have not installed my amp into the p5 yet for the same reason (i don't want any stupid holes in my firewall) but on a mustang i had an existing hole that i was able to use to run the power wire. If you can't find any existing holes than your options are to make a hole. I don't know if you would be able to run through fender and then door well.

2 options: a smaller wire (8ga or smaller) can go through an existing grommet, located on the driver's side firewall. It's oval shape, and there's plenty of room to make an opening for wire. If you want to completely hide the wire from view, or you're using 4ga or bigger, then you'll have to pull off the fender liner and run it that way. High up inside the drivers kick panel is a large opening that passes into the fender area. Removing the fender liner (around the inside of the wheel well) will expose the other side of this, and allow passage of just about any size wire you want. Run it along the factory wires and into an opening inside the engine compartment. That's it! It sounds like a lot of work, but do you really want to drill?

The way I wired mine was through this little rubber thing under the driver side dash, it can als be seen under the hood against the back on th rght side. What I did is I got a coat hanger and taped the wire to the hanger and forced it through from the outside, then I ran it discreatly under the carpeting which comes off with a little tugging, then you just take off those plastice step board things at the door which thebrake lights allready run through an just send the wires back. simple.

Mark,

I actually got the 4 gauge through the grommet without a problem.

Afrey, you found the trick most installers use for running wires into the car from under the hood!

Mike

AFREY YOU WIRED IT THROUGH THE CLUTCH HOLE UR SAYING RIGHT. I HAVE ALL MY WIRING GO THROUGH IT. EASY LOCATING TO GET TO UNDER THE DASH N UNDER THE HOOD.

Back