What do you dislike about your P5?

W

WidowMaker

To be fair I added this post for gripes about the P5...

I dislike the following:

Not enough power!

I have seen better cup holders.

Hate the fact that you have to reset the fresh air/recirculated air button on different heat settings! GRRRR!

Not big on the keyless entry where you have to hit the button twice to get all the locks open! Wish I could set it to a one button push thing.

I have seen better gas mileage out of 2.0 motors.

Armrest is a little small and back a little too far.

The drivers side lock handle is in the way of the window sill armrest. :)

Hate the way-too-small inner door handle. (borrowed from the Ford Contour)GRRRR!

Otherwise just adore my P5!!!!

Charles Smith
2002 Black Mica P5

I don't like where the lock is on the driver and passanger side doors. You have to reach around with your outside arm over yourself to open in, or twist your other arm up. It's annoying. So I always have to remember to hit the unlock all button for passangers and myself getting out.

I was satisfied with the sound system at first, but lately have come to think it's underpowered.

The "armrest" isn't even that, I have a pretty foward driveing position (white boy) and I can't reach back to rest on it.

Window howling at 70+ mph

But that's about all my major probs

My one pet peve is that you can feel tranny vibration through the stick.. I Hate that...

- Miker

The "armrest" isn't even that, I have a pretty foward driveing position (white boy) and I can't reach back to rest on it.
OK, what the hell does "white boy" mean? Does it mean you don't lie down and support yourself by pulling on the steering wheel(which is a serious no-no as far as performance driving is concerned), like all dark boys do?? So now I am guessing that white boy style driving means to drive in the correct position, and black boy driving is to lie down? Further, I am wondering why that is associated with white/black? Just wondering?
BTW, anyone that drives like that and wonders why they keep getting pulled over is a complete ******* idiot. And I can hear you crying now..."it's cause I am driving brown boy style, yo, they be profiling me yo"... And I'd be driving by laughing(driving white oy i might add) saying, yup, you just got profiled!!

My main gripe is the fact that there is only one lock/unlock button in the entire car, that sucks!

Maybe I'm the only one that's noticed this, but when you put the passenger side sun visor down and against the windshield it always knocks the rear view mirror out of alignment. It's infuriating!

I agree with you all about the locking situation, by the way. That's one feature my wife can't stand, either.

I sthe door open handle actually borrowed from a contour? I was going to redo the dash trim panels down th eline and thought that would be a problem. Now there are some other colours maybe?

I think the only thing I dislike about the PR5 is I can't rest my arm out the window without the doorlock jabbing me in the arm.

...and the fact that getting to 100mph is an all night affair. :D

Both of yall sound ****** ignorant talking about white/black driving positions. Well aside from hating ignorant ppl, i hate the fact that there isnt enuff HP. The side markers positions really erk my nerves too. Their should be an arm rest in the back seat as well. I can pretty much live with everything else for now. :D

thin paint (i know i know lack of wax)

the soda/cup holder isnt quite 12oz sized (the one on the left)

wind noise

weird tranny noises everyonce in awhile while accelerating on a colder engine.

radio reception, the radio reception (fm) is ass compared to my old car. :/ (stock stereo/antannae)

lock situation

hp

armrest way too far back/gets in way of elbow when pulling to 2nd/4th

im stretching now, cant think of anything else.

havent seen the recirulation problem that you are talking about?

I sthe door open handle actually borrowed from a contour? I was going to redo the dash trim panels down th eline and thought that would be a problem. Now there are some other colours maybe?

I am almost certain they are. My wife had an 86 Contour before the P5 and it had the same if not exact inner door handles. Arrgggh! I hate them... when you need to get out quick and your one or two fingers you can fit in there slip of... it kills. :) Ok Hee Hee I am being a wuss but I just wish there was a replacement with an actual handle that you could grab without slipping off it half the time.

havent seen the recirulation problem that you are talking about?

The problem is when you have the heat on and the button set to recirculate the air... this warms the car the quickest because it continually keeps running the same air through the heater core. But when you start to get some window fogging and turn on the defroster.... the fresh air/recirculate button automatically sets itself to fresh air which is all fine and dandy except for the fact that when you switch the dial from defroster back to heater the car forgets to set itself back to recirculate. Now I have to fumble with 2 buttons to get it back to where it was warming the car. I dunno, I guess it is a small rant but why have an auto switch to fresh air but not to recirculate?

Charles Smith
2002 Black Mica P5

your not supposed to use recirculate with the heat anyway. thats why the windows fog up. thats ment for the a/c really.

your not supposed to use recirculate with the heat anyway. thats why the windows fog up. thats ment for the a/c really

Nah, just turn on the AC while the heat is on and it keeps the windows from getting fogged. I actually meant to say it annoys me when I have it set to defrost the windows. I mistakenly said it was annoying when the windows get fogged up. My fopah. :D
Charles

Originally posted by Gyre:
<STRONG>I dislike that Zoom Zoom is now associated with the MPV.</STRONG>

Isn't it based on the Miata chassis anyway?

mmmmm.....let's see now. there are a couple of things.

-that damn rear wiper is a piece of crap.

-the doors feel a little cheap. the material covering the top part is already wearing away where i rest my arm.

-no pax side lock

-that light in the back (hatch/trunk area) is useless

-paint problems for sure

-i'd like the sunroof to open just a bit more in tilt mode

-an adjustable delay on the wipers would be nice

these are all minor inconveniences however when put together they do detract a bit from the overall appeal.

all in all you get what you pay for, i mean this is a pretty cheap car so i guess i'll take it and enjoy it.

Ahh.. the MPV..
I am waiting for their new ad campaign to rollout:
ZOOM-ZOOM-FLIP? ;)

I think i have recognized the same inconveniences as everyone else... hopefully help is on the way for some of them.
I know of two:
The wind whistling from sunroof can be (helped) by your dealer,
they installed some type of speedtape/weatherstripping to it and it is 'better', but the roof rack makes one heck of a racket regardless.. did anyone here get/not get covers for these to use if you want to remove the rack? I got gyped!

Oh more importantly, just got off the phone with my service friend over at mazda, and they are very close to having an ECU reprogram that will fix the timing issue (TSB) that causes the rattling noise at ~2500rpm when cold driving. I will check again soon at my first service and let ya'll know if its ready yet.
I think I would rather see a more positive thread... I think "Things I love about my P5" would get too big though :) Enjoy driving.
-ted

actually Gyre, zoom zoom is Mazda's theme for every car, but i think p5 makes the most zoom zoom impression, "the feeling is familiar, the car is different" with that yellow p5 will be in many ppl's mind for a while... well, the only thing i dislike about my p5, for now, is that it has not arrived yet.

Back