adding cruise control

I've heard from someone (on here) that cruise from a regular protege won't work, but i didn't get a good reason as to why. Might be a good place to start though. Also, there are some aftermarket kits, but they are usually generic, and may require mods of some kind .... I'm curious about this too though (drive 50 miles to work- one way) so if you come up with something, definatly let us know here ... I know dakota digital makes one, and google will probably help you find the others.

I'm going to jump in here and follow this thread as I too would love to have CC back online. I used it all the time in my P5. Hopefully we can find a solution.

:cool:

Try driving 400 Miles to go skiing and see how your foot feels afterwards. It sucks. Doesn't seem to me that Cruise Control would be such an expensive item that it needed to be dropped from our cars. I would be very interested if anyone knows, or has heard of how to get CC on our cars. In the meantime, I'm gonna go troll the MP3 threads, since they also got jacked with no cruise.

i know people have done it. I remember reading the unit cost around 130$ But im not sure about the strut bar. I know there is two different model # strut bars for w/ and w/o cruise control.

uhh that would add weight and weight = bad for speed

I can't imagine a cruise module adding THAT much weight, along with the associated wiring ... Probably way less than say, a box in the trunk for 2 10" subs. You could always remove the rear seats for that matter! :-D

There always needs to be a balance ... this is a road car, not a race car. If you raced it, and never drove it anywhere else, yes, cruise would be awfully useless... but I drive my MSP to work every day, and unfortunatly, speed isn't my only concern.

Wow never realized the MSP didn't have Cruise Control......

But hey least it has power rear windows right...

*runs out of thread before starting a flame war* :rolleyes:

Not callin' out any specific person here, but it's quite gunny how people are so concerned about weight.. They have a wood or plastic sub box with two 12"s, two amps, LCD's, 18" bling bling rims, PS2 and a DVD player, and the spare tire but yet when it comes to adding a cruise control module they're all like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! THAT"LL SLOW YOU DOWN!#$

Heh.

Ok i've got a rental 2002 protege lx and it does have cruise. I'm gonna take a look at the cruise unit.

you'll definitely need to remove the strut bar to get cruise to work as the mounting bracket for the stock LX cruise unit is on the pass strut area.

Hey Arunto - check the bottom of the strutbar - there's a mounting bracket (for cruise?) on mine...

to use the OEM stuff, you will need to replace the gas pedal in order to mount the cruise control cable that will be routed to it, add the necessary harness to install the cruise control module that will be installed in the passenger side kick pangel, use the control stalk and steering wheel trim off the P5, and the related vacuum hoses and brackets to install the cruise control actuator
If I was doing it, I would go aftermarket, BUT use the P5 control stalk to make it look clean

Back