P5 vs Matrix

I just happen to have that issue of Sport Compact Car where they give the lowdown on the new matrix:
Price 18,500-20,000
Engine I4 Disp. 1.8L
HP 180 Torque 130<---weak!
Redline 8100<---impressive almost like an s2000
0-60 8.9 sec 1/4 mile 16.6 sec @ 85 mph

Three Drivetrains Config Available:
130 HP FWD or all wheel drive(corolla engine) 5spd or 4 spd auto
180 HP FWD only! specs above(celica engine)

Hey, I saw a guy test-driving the matrix too! At first, when I saw the Matrix at a car show with the lipkit and eveything, I regretted getting a P5, but now that I see it on the street, the Matrix looks like crap! First of all, it's ride height is waaaay too high. Almost SUV-ish. And it looks too narrow, especially when it's so high. I gotta say the interior is extremely well-done.

Yesterday I went car shopping with my friend who's looking at the 2003 Toyota Corolla. So I picked him up in my P5 and drove to the Toyota dealership. The first thing I saw when I pulled in the dealer lot was the Matrix and it was parked at a customer parking area, so I pulled up right next to it :)

It was the souped up version, with nice big wheels, sports exhaust (pretty nice one) and the sports trim. But that thing is much bigger than our P5's and it's like 6-8 inches taller! So it's more like a mini mini-van than a wagon. I would say that when doing high speed cornering, our P5s would beat it hands down because we would have less body roll. I would also say that the Matrix is bigger and heavier and therefore it needs the extra power for good acceleration.

The front is the only part I liked about the Matrix. The side is kinda ugly because of the taller body and they try really hard to make a "flow" pattern with the door and windows to make the car seem not as tall as a mini-van.

The dealer noticed my car too and he said it looked nice :)

Needless to say yesterday's trip to the Toyota dealership didn't change a thing how I feel about my P5! :)

Oh BTW, the new corolla is nice, just like a mini camry. But I wouldn't buy one, coz there's no driving feeling at all and the shifter is really bad...

hummm matrix or mp5........well obviously since i have the mp5 i would have to stick with the mp5.......mostly because i am to poor to trade or by another car i do agree with the fact or point that the interior is much better lookin than mp5 but not buy much i mean i love my mp5 dont get me wrong..... i do agree also that the thing sits way to high and is definately got the ugliest body styling....is all angled lookin like the new mustangs with all the cuts and angles and stuff i dont like......... and i agree with the hp thing much bigger car more weight so of course bigger engine so it makes up diff...... but like homie said our car has the bomb handleing and etc.........so i say stick with mp5.......vibe is cool but dont want a 4wd...........

hakushi's right about the base matrix, without the lip it looks like crap. the stock p5 w/o any sort of body kit looks pretty good by itself, all you would really need is a lowering.

My decision is that i snowboard a lot and figure to be taking this up a mountain. But i saw the matrix 4wd's HP/torque and laughed; that combined with the uglier car (at that particular pricepoint) makes me pretty much stay with trying for a p5.

The Pro 5 is the hottest all around wagon out there. The Matrix is longer,faster and more expensive then the rival 5. The Pontiac Vibe is a prototype wagon come to life. With its optional 180hp engine and its 0-60 in under 8.5 sec, this car is a beast. The Matrix is the better looking of the two but if u had to have one over the other it would be the Matrix. They're both heavier than the 5. If u bought a five already, dont even sweat the competition. You've already won and the aftermarket will back u up! If they havent yet, they will. Think smart and drive fast!! :D :D

I'm also debating this...so here's some details:

Matrix XRS is the top of the line model which is invoice at mid $18's. This includes the 6 sp and 180 hp engine with the vvtli of the Celica GTS. However, the tires are thicker making the gearing seem taller. The XR model has the Celica GT engine (140 i believe). The power of the XRS is so appealing, as well as the 6sp. The cargo room in the Matrix is huge, especially how the rear seats fold and are flat with the back floor. Enough room in there to fit 2 bikes. However, it's running $2K-$3K more than the Protege 5. Hmmm...what to do what to do?

"The Pro 5 is the hottest all around wagon out there?" I disagree.

These are my favorite sportswagons:

Audi S4 Avant
77461.jpg

Audi allroad
155394.jpg

BMW 325i Sport Wagon
152583.jpg

BMW 540i Sport Wagon
81055.jpg

Mercedes-Benz C320 Sport Wagon
150633.jpg

I would have listed the 2002 Lexus IS 300 SportCross, but it's SO FRIGGEN UGLY!

It would be awesome if Audi brought over the RS4 or the RS6...maybe someday.

04feb02.jpg

ok, let me clear up a few things, I test drove the matrix this past saturday to give it a chance since it looks like crap, a "cute" car it is. anyway, it rides like a van, the 180 hp is not that fast, it can't take corners and it has crappy ass braking system, for a vehicle with 180 hp it feels like 140 not joking, also too high, good for basketball players. second the vibe's engine is the exact same as the toyota engine, it is a toyota engine toyota helped design it. So either one is the same, as for competition for the p5 I would have to say the civic sir coming out in three months, but it is ugly as sin. Just thougt I would clear up this so everyone would understand that a p5 is a much better built car, lower power no problem "AFTERMARKET"

Holy Minivan. I saw my first Matrix today and I think my aunt's looking for something to haul kids around in so I'll let her know. That's gross!

Gene from Cinci: I have to agree but I (and probably most of us) don't have the 40-60K to pick up the Audi A4 Avant, etc. or we would have... For a few $K more very soon you'll be able to put a turbo & all the extras and the P5 will still be half the cost especially if we keep pushing the aftermarket people to produce good products for us. It took about 2-3 years before really good stuff came out for the MX-5 so I'm waiting until my 3yr/50K warrenty is toast...(50K way before 3yr, I drive too much!)

2002 Red P5 5-speed w/ABS.
1997 Montero SR

happydog: Actually, you could pick up a 1999 Audi A4 Avant AWD Turbo for around $15,000 - plus the engine can be tweaked to almost 400 hp.

Still, I really enjoy my PR5. It's a great balance between handling, looks and price. I can't wait to get more data on the performance parts that are starting to surface!

While shopping for a new car I looked at the Protege5 , Matrix and Impreza TS. I went with the Protege after testing them all. The first car I tested was the Protege5. I loved it and wanted to take it home but I never buy the first thing I look at without first checking out comprable models.So off I went to the Toyota dealer.The Matrix was ok. I did not care for the assembly of the vehicle. I looked a the Matrix at two dealers and at both I found loose fixtures, bad welds and chips on the edge of the glass rear hatch. The rear hatch also had a bad weld that had cut into the tube of the hinge for the hatchback. For these reasons the Matrix lost. I then looked at the Impreza TS. I liked the 35 extra HP and AWD. But I had read several reports about issues with the Imprezas engine and the sales man telling me about the problems his had had,even though he said they were all fixed quickly, turned me away from the Impreza. I have only had the car for a day or so but I keep getting stopped at work by people asking about it. Everybody seems to like the car. I will suggest the Protege5 to anybody who is looking for a new car.

Gene: I must have been thinking of the A6. I didn't realize you could get one for that. Shoulda checked Edmunds :eek:. Well, let's hope we get a good turbo system soon. I had a 1990 Miata that I put the JR supercharger + a buch of other stuff on and I drooled over the Flying Miata III from The Dealer Alternitive. However I had to let it go as I've now got more than just my wife to drive around (I like those child safty seat connections). The P5 looks to be as easy to play with just as soon as there's a good set of toys :).

MATRIX VS P5

Well well well...
Matrix?? are you lookin for a SUV or a sports wagon eh?..
Matrix is FAT, Protege is PHAT...
and if ya want a suv.. get the one that i just got,
X-5 4.4 sports package.. F*** all the 3.0 losers...
Protege is the best car u can get for that price.. even tho it;s only got 135 horses.. listen to the sound baby,, ZOOM ZOOOM ZOOOOM!!!!:D

Latest posts

Back